DECISION

DAVE'S POV

The drive home was rather slow, I figured I needed an ambience of peace before meeting the awaiting turbulence at home. What if I was actually responsible for this mess? Was I really ready to become a father? What if, I don't get to see the baby before I die?

The vibration from my phone took me off my sad trail of thoughts. I reached out for it, while keeping an eye on the road. It was a text from Mike. I wondered what he wanted from me again.

Hey guy
I'm sorry I lashed out at you earlier. I guess, you pushing me away got to me so bad that I took advantage of the situation. Please take good care of my sister and work things out with her. I don't know about you but she really cares for you.

Mike has always been a softie, I guess I deserved his earlier outburst. Julia and I go way back. We met second week in freshmen year, while running around for course form registrations. She helped me alot and we became close. Did we ever hooked up? That's a story for later, but we never got serious. Things tends to go sideways whenever I got serious.

I parked my car in the garage and walked to the front door of my four bedroom bungalow. My life as a student really stood out alot, thanks to my super rich parents. I used to live with Mike but I kicked him out after discovering my situation. I didn't want him to know.

"I hope she's asleep by now," I mumbled to myself. I checked my wristwatch and it's past 10pm already. I intentionally made a couple of stops on my way, to pass time.

I tiptoed into the living room, not wanting to announce my arrival. The light was out as usual, but I managed to navigate my way sharply, thanks to the reflection from the kitchen. As I made my way to my room,the lights came on and I froze.

"Where have you been Dave," She said, in a low tone. She sounded tired and sad but what caught my attention was the bags sitting directly beside her. Why did she come with those luggage? I mentally asked myself.

"Sorry I was held in traffic," I managed to say, without breaking the gaze I had on the bags.

"Why are those bags there? Are you traveling or something?"

"Are you playing dumb or what?" She asked, with a visible smirk appearing on her face. "Dave we need to talk."

"Ok fine let's talk," I said, gesturing her to take a seat while I did same. "How about we start with those bags, what are they doing in my house?"

"I am here to stay Dave," She said, as a matter of fact

"What does that even mean? What happened to your apartment?" I was already raising my voice but to my surprise, she didn't seem scared, rather, she was calm. Maybe overly calm for my liking. She seemed different.

Mike and Julia's parents were also rich and unlike Mike, she was staying in a very comfortable apartment. Although not as big and as comfortable as mine but any girl would beg to be in her shoes. This charade she was putting up, wasn't about comfort.

"It means, I am your new roommate and we...."

"What's your problem Julz?" I said, cutting her off. I only used her pet name whenever I want to get my way. "Can't you stay in your own apartment?"

"No I can't." She scrambled through one of her holy trinity chanel brand bag and brought out a book. "It's written in here that, it is healthy for the baby to spend as much time with the father as possible before He or she is born."

"What rubbi...."

"It's even healthier for the mother too," She said, cutting me off. I grabbed the book from her hand and looked at it.Title was 'Essential dynamics and Necessities during pregnancy' by ALEKSANDRINA Olga.

"Look," I said, pointing at the author's name. "She's Russian and was probably writing in line with her cultural beliefs."

"Pregnancy has nothing to do with race or cultural beliefs, it's the same everywhere".
It was pointless arguing this out with her and I was already feeling sleepy.

"Okay fine." I saw the victory smile she held. "Take your things to that room," I said, pointing to the room far away from mine.

"Let's continue tomorrow okay." I turned to take my leave

"Wait! Aren't you a bit curious to know if I'm telling the truth or not?" I took a deep breath and mentally cautioned myself from saying the wrong thing.

"You wouldn't be in my house, with your luggage, if I wasn't responsible, would you? Also, you won't lie to me." I said the last part out loud so she would hear me clearly.

"And what if my reason is contrary to your opinion of me?"

"Then you become the b****h who lied to me,"I said, sternly not breaking eye contact. "Is that who you are?"

"No, I am not."

"Good then, see you tomorrow. Goodnight ". I opened my door and walked in, leaving her to sort herself out.She seemed alittle out of place with my response.

I drifted off to sleep almost immediately as I made contact with my soft bed. It was really a long day.

***********

I found myself in a very familiar environment. The gateway led into a large courtyard separated into three uneven sections by a mossy flagstone path. On either side, smooth verdant lawns stretched away. One segment held a large and shaggy mango tree, its branches sagging beneath a heavy load of fruits. The east segment was half lawn and half wood. Tall broadleaved trees of a palm tree, oak, beech and other various deciduous trees were growing thick and wild. My eyes were led irresistibly to a familiar figure, walking around the west segment of the courtyard. I made my way towards her.

"I can sense your presence," Sophie said, crashing all intended attempt on surprising her. She always does that.

"How come you're always aware of my presence?" I asked, taking a seat beside her. She looked amazing as always but I couldn't stop thinking of Kween while staring at her. It was quite unusual for me. Whenever I was with Sophie, all I could think about was Sophie but it was all mumbled now, thanks to that crazy girl.

"I'm in your head Dave, so I know when you are around," she said softly, while smiling brightly at me. "You seem to have alot on your mind, do share."

If there was anybody I would open up to freely then it was her. I always found peace talking to her about my troubles. She was a good listener and also offered wise counsel, although sometimes, I got tired of her nagging.

"I saw you today, but it wasn't really you. Like the only thing you had in common, was the uncanny resemblance."

"So what happened," She seemed confused but her expression held more interest than I expected.

"She told me she likes me and I should go on a date with her. I accepted because I wanted to be sure."

"Sure about what Dave?" She made a funny face by twitching up her eyebrows. "You can't live the remaining days of your life hanging onto a fantasy. Give Kween a chance okay?"

"How did you know her name?" I asked, giving off a confused expression.

"Like I said before, I'm in your head. I also know that, you have been thinking of her the whole time." She stressed the last part.

"Well that means you know about Julia too?" I really hoped she did because I didn't want to go over that experience again.

"Yes Dave, I do," She said, tapping me on my back. She stared at me for what seemed like an eternity but lasted seconds and then, engulfed me in an embrace. "You will be alright."

A knocking sound dragged me out of dream land, making me spring up from bed. Although, I knew it was a dream, I enjoyed the moment and never wanted it to end. Being around Sophie gave me a different feeling.The knocking sound continued, prompting me out of bed as I made my way towards the door. Who could this be at this time?

The chapters keep getting longer.This is the longest chapter so far😲😲...I needed to fasten things up a bit..I hope you enjoy it. Don't forget to vote and comment. Also add the book to yhur library or reading list. Thank you 😊