Chapter Twenty-Nine

I leaned back in my chair, pressing myself against Michael's side. I could hear him breathe even over the booming sound of all the voices around us. I could smell his enticing scent even over the stench of cafeteria food.

"Come on Bella... Tell the story." Tonya whined.

"No. It's lame." Burying my face in my boyfriend's shoulder I tried to hide the sheepish blush crawling up my neck to my cheeks. "And embarrassing." I let out a breath of hot air, warming the light brown fabric of his shirt.

"It's also funny!" Tonya snorted. "Its one of those stories you want to tell your kids someday." She sat there staring at me, turning a piece of her tangled hair over with her fingers.

"... Fine..." I decided with a huff. Everyone at the table gave me their full attention as I started my story.
"Eh... Well... It was like... The fourth day of school this year. When they had the drug dog come in. We were sitting in science working on notecards when the vice principle came in and told us to step out into the hallway as what not...
We were standing there, lined up against the wall when the boy next to me started to talk to me. He said, 'I picked a horrible day to bring a jacket'. You know... Because they make us leave everything in the classroom? I laughed and said, 'Yeah. I picked a horrible day to bring a purse. And then..." I stopped and pressed my teeth into my lip.

"Yeah?" Thomas urged.

"... Then they came out into the hallway asking for Bella Wexting..." Michael coughed to disguise a laugh. "That's not funny!" I fumed pulling away a little bit.

"Yeah, Bella. It kind of is." He chuckled and smoothed his hair back with his hand.

"Oh...! Hush! You made me start this story and I'm going to finish it." I growled. He held up his hands in surrender.
"Right..." I continued. "They asked for Bella Wexting and I could tell feel everyone staring at me. And that day I had decided to get all dressed up in my cute little skirt and sandals only to have that look ruined by being called out by a drug dog!
So I walked into the room feeling like I was about to cry and they were like, 'Are you okay?' And I was like, 'yeah'." My hand gestures became more and more exaggerated as the story went on with my growing frustration.
"They asked for my permission to go through my purse and of course I said yes. They went through everything. They even dumped my gum- the little ice breakers kind- out onto the nasty table! They asked if I had been around alcohol or cigarette smoke or anything and I said no. Then they asked if I had any over the counter drugs in this bag. Then I remembered I got some medicine at the airport for a migraine and had that in there. I told them and they brought the class back in and left. I was then bombarded with questions! THE END!" Plopping down against the back of the chair, I crossed my arms and grumbled.

Tonya bumped her side against me. "You left out one of the best parts, B!" She smiled at me, waiting for my continuation of the story.

"And... And at lunch that day, Tonya sat down at the table after buying lunch and said, 'I just heard that some Freshmen got busted for drugs!'" And that's when the laughter really started. Even Benedetta couldn't suppress her giggles. My face ran crimson. "I-It's not that funny you guys!"

"My...!" Tonya said through a laugh. "My how rumors fly!"