05

"Elyse, come here," my dad calls from downstairs. I leave my phone on the bed and rush down the stairs to my parents.

"What's up?" I ask, my head peering round the corner.

"We're worried about you, Elyse," my mum sighs and gestures for me to sit on a chair. Hesitantly I walk over to them and sit opposite them both. My dad is leaning over my mums shoulder and looking at my recent work.

"Your tests are soon and you're failing. You used to be so good. What happened?" She inquires and flicks through the pages.

"I don't know. I promise I'm studying and I'll do great." I say, my voice desperate as I try convince them, yet deep down I know I'm trying to convince myself that I'm not fucked.

My parents shoot each other a glance before my dad nods.

"We're also worried about your friends or the fact you're always alone." My mum whispers, her hands reaching across as to say hold them. I ignore her hands as my gaze flickers between them both. "What happened to-"

"I have friends. I'm doing fine, don't worry." I sigh, standing up from the chair and running back to my bedroom. I slam my door shut and jump face down onto my bed. It was just one of those days.

I close my eyes tightly to blink away the tears and in a desperate act to stop the heartache. They are right, I have no friends but I really used to. I turn over, staring at my ceiling and wiping the few lone tears away. Fuck people. I have Josh, I don't know if he's a friend since he's only talking to me in secret but it's some consistency.

I roll over to my side and watch the clouds and the leaves waving around outside. It's the most peaceful part of my day and it separates me slightly from the painful thought of returning to school tomorrow. Suddenly, my phone vibrates from next to me.

I bend over and open my phone, greeted by my homescreen of the anime Weathering With You.

Josh
8:39PM
Are you at home?

Elyse
8:40PM
Yeah. Why?

Josh
8:40PM
Look out the window.

Elyse
8:41PM
Any particular reason?

Josh
8:42
Pleaseee

The sky is a mix of blue, purple and pink as the sun sets slowly. The shine of it shines past the houses in sections and into the room. Magic hour. I watch the sun set slowly, the clouds turning to a beautiful mix of colours, to add to this the petals from the cherry blossom tree opposite our house flow down onto the road and away in the wind. I'm staring out the window for a while, the sun getting lower and lower until my phone vibrates violently on my nightstand, so violently it can be heard across the room. I lean over and glance down at the screen.

Josh
9:02PM
Number five: sunsets.

--

Dedication: Shuasgodlypiercings once again, we barely know each other but thankyou so much for the support on my book, it means unexplainable amounts to me. You are unbelievably kind and I just appreciate it so much ♡ also you have TWICE on your profile so I just appreciate all that much more for that ♡ {TWICE are the best}.