17

I wake up in my bed, a repeated ringing in my ear, Josh is lying on the floor next to me. He's groaning, twisting and turning around. Must be uncomfortable on my floor, sucks to be him I guess.

"Fuck, what's that noise," Josh groans from my floor.

"Your phone idiot," I groan back, chucking a pillow from my bed at him. He lets out a low laugh.

"Not a morning person El?" He laughs before sliding his phone off my  bedside table.

"Shut up," I grumble and close my eyes again.

"Fuck- fuck! Fuck!" Josh repeats, loudly. Instantly, I open my eyes and turn to face the distressed boy. He's running a hand through his blonde hair whilst chewing on his bottom lip.

"Josh-" I start.

"Fuck, I'm so screwed," he curses again. I push myself to sit up on my messy bed. He glances up at me, his beautiful eyes cloudy once again.

"Josh what's happened?" I ask and slide down to my floor to look at him. He looks down at his phone again sliding it to me. I tilt my head with confusion.

"Read it," he shrugs. I slowly look down at the expensive phone in my hand. A group chat. The popular kids group chat.

Sophie
02:44AM
Fuck relationships.

Lewis
02:47AM
??? Josh is in this chat, love.

James
02:50AM
What happened?

Sophie
02:51AM
He's been hanging with that freak, I told you guys he was and I don't care that he is, fuck him.

Beth
02:54AM
Noo! You two belong together? How do you know for sure?

Sophie
03:00AM
{Attached an image}
Found this Polaroid of them together in his phone case.

Lewis
03:03AM
Do you reckon Josh is doing it with the freak?

James
03:04AM
HE'S IN THIS CHAT.

Beth
03:06AM
Gross.

Sophie
03:07AM
I know right.

Lewis
03:08AM
I can't believe he'd do this to you, babe.

Beth
03:09Am
Same, I'm so sorry Soph but they're probably just friends. Josh has always been very good to you. He wouldn't change for her. No one would.

Lewis
03:10AM
I think he's awful. Soph, you wanna text privately?

Sophie
03:11AM
Yeah <3.

James
03:11AM
You guys always make it through things. You're the cutest couple I know.

Sophie
09:05AM
He hasn't text me or called me.

Beth
09:06AM
He's probably sleeping.

Lewis
09:07AM
Sleeping with the freak maybe. Call me Soph.

My heart drops as I read the texts, the work freak sticks in my head as I slide him the phone back and almost simultaneously Sophie calls him. I watch him blankly stare at her name and the photo of them together. I carefully watch his moves, ignoring the lump in my throat as my eyes start to sting. I've always been used to what people say but I've never had to read it. It's a new level of pain.

"Fuck it," Josh mutters before denying the call.

"You're not gonna answer?" I ask curiously.

"No, I'm gonna do something else," he looks up at me, a small smile on his face. Rapidly, his head darts back down to his phone as he starts urgently typing. A few minutes later after many attempts of typing and the same perplexed look on his face he slides his phone over to me.

"What do you think?" He questions.

Josh
09:15AM
Calling a girl you've never met a freak? That's low and yes we are friends and she's been a better friend to me than you ever have Lewis. You slept with my girlfriend, what the fuck? And you're always flirting, don't act so high. You're just a leech. She's just a girl guys, and I did struggle with being her friend at the start but she let me be myself: something you guys never gave me. Elyse is the strongest person I've ever met, and she does that without bringing down others amd that amazes me everyday. She makes me so proud. So say what you want about our friendship, at least I'm happy and if you guys were proper friends you'd be happy for me.

Josh
9:17AM
And Sophie, break up with me if you want. I understand, you can all ditch me if you want.

Josh
9:18AM
But I hope you can understand.

I read over the paragraph as many times as I can.

"You're crying," Josh whispers.

"I am?" I sniffle and wipe away my tears as quick as I can. "I guess I am- it's just you've never stood up for me like that before or even admitted it. It's a comforting feeling," I continue, the tears rolling down my face slowly.

"You've done so much for- more texts," he pats the floor next to him, I smile and slide over.

Sophie
09:25AM
We'll talk about this privately, I don't want to make any moves yet.

Lewis
09:26AM
It's obvious what you should do...

James
09:27AM
Leave Soph to think about it, Lewis. Now is not the time for your flirting.

Beth
09:28AM
I still can't believe you to be honest Josh.

Lewis
09:29AM
Same, I thought higher of you.

James
09:29AM
Shut up Lewis.

Josh
09:30AM
Thanks James.

James
09:31AM
You shut up too, you hurt Soph.

"I'm sorry," I whisper, my hand sympathetically patting his shoulder. He turns and smiles at me.

"It's good, I still have Soph for now," he shrugs. I feel a pinch at my heart, my hand dropping from his shoulder.

"Yeah, that's good," I say, faking a sweet voice.

"It means I can move on and make new friends," he smiles, standing up. His hands are on his hips as he pretends to stand there, sword in hand proudly. "I shall take over the world with my new friends!" He laughs.

"Number seventeen: new friends and new starts."

---

Dedication: elenaslibrary all your support means so much to me! We're not great friends but you're certainly an amazing person. You're book aesthetics are madly beautiful and I can't wait for the actual book. You're so talented and I just want to give you all the praise in the world! ♡