06

Josh
6:49AM
Can we meet after school?

Elyse
7:32AM
Yeah sure. On that hill?

Josh
7:35AM
Sure.
Also you wake up really late. I've been awake since 6.

Elyse
7:37AM
Half-seven is a good time to wake up at for school.

Josh
7:38AM
You can't get anything done in that like half an hour before school

Elyse
7:42
I do all my work beforehand so I don't have to rush it.

Josh
7:45
Nerd

I find myself smiling at my phone for a few seconds before shoving it into my back pocket and going downstairs. The floor boards creak underneath me, dominating the sound of my parents mumbling in the front room about my grades.

"What is it, mum?" I ask.

"Elyse, you keep brushing us off when we talk about your tests. They determine your future and they're in 8 days," my mum says, her voice desperate and pleading with me. "You used to be so talented and smart."

"And that doesn't have to change, I'll be fine-"

"Are you studying, Elyse?" My dad asks.

"I am, I'll be fine, you know this," I say, my eyes moving to my dad. He smiles, a tiny smile at me.

"Okay, if you're sure but you've changed so much this year. Is everything okay?" My mum asks.

"Everything is fine, mum. Please just drop it now," I huff, as I stand up and walk over to the closet near the front door. "I'll be late. I have to go," I tug at my backpack and swing it over my shoulder.

"Sweetie, it's only-" my dad starts but I slam the door, my anger almost taking over again. I sigh heavily and start rushing down the quiet road. This morning I don't even pay attention to the scenery like I usually do, instead I stare down at the floor and ignore the cars speeding past.

I walk to school, slowly and not paying attention to anything, everything is just crumbling around me. Does it even get better? Will I ever be good enough for anyone? Probably not.

Eventually, I reach the busy school. People flood around me as I push past to my locker. I stare blankly into it for a second before shoving the folders into my worn down bag. After, I turn around and watch all the various friendship groups walk past at a ridiculously slow pace. Time for a really boring school day. I stare down at the floor, picking at my fingers nervously.

I start heading down the corridor, the groups of people don't even shoot me a second glance, until Josh walks past. I force a smile at him, he quickly smiles back before wiping it away and turning his head back towards Sophie.

He puts his arm around her.

I move my empty gaze to the dirty floor.

I quickly get to my first lesson and spend the class doing absolutely nothing, barely able to concentrate on the teacher rambling on about Henry the VIII's wives, he had six wives. I know this from watching the musical why on earth do I need an hour and a half lecture on it. The rest of the day goes by in a blur, mostly because I don't pay attention and all my days are the same. I do my lessons, doodle, get ignored by Josh, eat alone and walk to the hill as I rethink my life choices.

I get there first and I sit down, my back against the lone tree as I gaze towards the beach. The sea is at a distance, some families run around and the sun is high in the sky.

Sometime after Josh finally arrives. Without saying anything he sits next to me and copies my pose.

"I'm sorry I'm late, I got distracted. I didn't forget about you," he says out the blue.

"It's fine, I've only been here for like 15 minutes..." I mumble. "Where were you?" I continue.

"Soph was upset at me so I was just calming her down, it's all good now," he laughs, turning his head to face me. His laugh seems forced. I look over to him too; his shoulders look tense and he looks exhausted.

"I'm glad. What happened?" I ask, my head tilted to the side.

"It's confusing, just a recurring argument. Anyway can I make it up to you now?" He chuckles, his voice lower than usual.

"How?" I laugh too, taking a proper look at him now. The sun beats down on his face, his blue eyes shining more than ever. His curly hair falls over his face, messy from his walk here.

"Icecream?" He says, standing up. His forced laugh has turned into a bright smile.

I nod, standing up too.

"Favourite flavour?" He asks, his hands shoved into his pockets and his eyes on the sandy floor.

"Call me old or whatever but I love banoffee. I also love mango but they're weird flavours so I guess vanilla. I really like trying the unique flavours. what about you?"

"I should try some more unique flavours, I'm basic. But chocolate, I really love chocolate, anything to do with chocolate- chocolate milk, chocolate icecream, plain chocolate, chocolate cake, chocolate-"

"-I get it, you really like chocolate. There's over 1000 different flavours though, it's mad," I laugh. He shoots me a glance, hiding his creeping smile.

"I love chocolate! I'd eat it all if I could but I gotta stay sporty and stay healthy apparently, but I think I can have some chocolate icecream today," he smiles as we head towards the icecream van. The sand squashes underneath my worn-down trainers and the sound of the sea hitting the shore gets louder as we get closer.

"I'll pay this time, you paid last time," he smiles. "Vanilla?" He asks and I nod.

A few minutes later he walks towards me, a huge smile planted on his face as he hands me the vanilla icecream.

"Do you wanna study tomorrow?" He asks, taking a lick from his chocolate flavoured icecream.

"Uh-" I stutter, taken back slightly by his sudden question.

"It'll benefit both of us. Our tests are soon and it's easier to study with other people, we can help each other. I know you're having issues because the teacher kept you back, I wanna help," he smiles, his eyes focused on the icecream in front of him.

"Yeah, I'd love to," I smile back, taking a lick from my icecream.

"Don't tell Soph," he laughs, awkwardly. I nod as a response.

"Oh, by the way-" he starts. I glance over at him before he finishes.

"Number six: icecream and all the different flavours to try."

--

Dedication: Aussie_Pjo_Lover thankyou for all the support on my book, you're so kind and it means the world to me that you comment and vote on each chapter. You're also a really talented artist and omg I love looking at your art. You're amazing and even though we haven't spoken directly before, I can just tell you're a great person! Hope you're doing well. ♡