Chapter 10:5

Pam sat beside Will, watching him taste the breakfast that was brought to him by one of the hospital's food caterers.

He placed the fork down and slightly pushed the tray away, saying, "I'm ready to get outta here. This food ain't got no taste, baby."

Pam smiled. "Eat the fruit cup then, and drink the orange juice. You gotta eat something."

Will reached for the fruit cup. He could only use his right hand. If he used his left hand, the wound in his shoulder would pain him. He opened it and shook out the slices of fruit into his mouth.

There was a knock on the door, and Zavier walked into the room. "Fuckin' traffic held me back," he said, as Pam stood up and hugged him.

She turned to Will and said, "I'm gonna go home and get some things. I'll be back soon."

Will nodded, and she walked out of the room.

Zavier sat down where Pam had got up from. "It's like my worse fear just came true, my brother being shot," he said in a low tone.

Will responded, "But I'm okay. I'm gon' be aight."

Zavier held Will's hand. Then he let go and stared into Will's eyes. He looked away, then asked, "How did this happen? Who did it?"

"The dude who I was arguing with at Leslie's party."

"How the hell did y'all come in contact? Like, can you explain?"

Will said, "Me and Pam got into some argument over a girl I met at the club a little while back. We just been talking on the phone about life and shit. But she called my cell and Pam answered, and she made it seem like me and her been foolin' around. So Pam left me. I guess she went by Kendra's place because Lisa was going to a work meeting. So I begged Lisa to show me where Kendra lived. When we got there, I was talking to Pam, and next thing I know, Mark pulls up saying he was gonna kill Kendra. That was the first time I saw him since the party. He said somethin' like he came there the perfect time, then he shot me. The thing that's fucking me up is that he coulda shot them. All I did was lay there. What if he had shot them? What if he had shot Pam? I wish I had the strength to get up and fight him or somethin'."

Zavier said, "Nah, 'cause maybe if you tried to fight him, he woulda shot you up even more. Why would he want to shoot Kendra?"

"She broke up with him and he saw her out with a male friend. Nigga got major issues for real. He had a different car and everything and nobody knows where he's at."

"Damn. So where's Kendra?"

"She's with Lisa."

"Does he know where Lisa lives?"

"Nah. That's why she's staying with her."

"Good. Cause he might be after her or some shit. Or maybe not, 'cause he prolly woulda shot her when he shot you. I don't know, man. This shit is fucked up. I just want you to get better, bro."

"I will. You look tired, though. Go get some sleep in the couch over there, or go to my crib. Isaac is staying there. Mark know where he lives."

"Nah, I'm staying here. I'll go sleep in the couch."

"Yeah, you know you gon' have to sit up, 'cause yo tall-ass can't even fit in it."

Zavier smiled. He went over to the couch and dozed off.

About thirty minutes later, Pam came back inside of the room with bags of her and Will's clothing, hygiene products, blankets, and pillows.

"Are you okay?" She asked Will.

"Yeah I'm straight. The doctor just gave me a check-up."

"Okay. Is everything good?"