012

"Naysha! Beta, are you done? Don't tire yourself up, it's Eid tomorrow!"

I smiled up at Zara's mom, my Chachijaan as she caressed my head,

"Nahi, chachijaan. I like doing this, besides it's only a few of us. Why don't you and mamma come, I can apply mehendi for you guys too."

She shook her head, "JazakAllah, jaani. But we have a lot of work pending, we might be limited to only a few people this Eid but your Dad and chachu are bent on making it just as huge as normal!"

I chuckled as she walked away, and focused on Wareesha's hand on my lap.

I pouted as I analyzed my masterpeice, as I liked calling it, while my impatient sisters surrounded me,

"Naysha, I'm still pending."

I shot Arisha and Zara a 'shut-the-heck-up' look.

The loud nasheeds blaring from the speakers made it difficult for me to concentrate and so, I suggested we went up to Zara's room to complete the rest of the design.

As we were in the silent confines of our room, I hurriedly finished with the design on Wareesha's hands before completing with Zara's hands.

"MashaAllah Naysha, you excel in this field. You've improved a lot since the last time you applied mehendi!"

I smiled at Zara, "I know right?" I said as I worked on Arisha's left palm, her right hand was still empty, and that was the last before I could stain my hands with mehendi too.

I was a huge mehendi fanatic ever since my childhood, and initially, it was dadi who taught me. Later, I'd joined parlour classes to specifically learn how to master the art of mehendi, and I was proud of this skill.

Wareesha's hands had dried up and she was slowly drooping in sleep, and Zara was blowing air on her hands in failed attempts to dry them as I shifted my position and motioned for Arisha to bring her right hand forward.

Aromas flooded the room from our kitchen, and I took in a deep breath,

"I can't wait for tomorrow!"

"Same, sis, same!"

Arisha and Zara then proceeded to talk about all the looks they'd try tomorrow, and I kept up with their conversation.

Once done with Arisha's hands, I helped a half asleep Wareesha in sleeping in the right position, so that she wouldn't ruin her mehendi or get it printed on her face.

I'd forcefully applied some mehendi on daadi's hand, and while I initially wanted to force mom and chachi too, they strictly shoved me away, promising to get their hands done by me the next day.

The house was more alive that night than any other night, full of active energy where even Rahim was too excited to sleep.

"Ahad!" I called out and he turned to me with a questioning gaze,

"Yes?"

I blinked at him and scrunched my nose. We were behaving like civil people around each other. His sight wasn't making me want to strangle him anymore, and I wasn't annoying the life out of him.

"Can you get me another cone? I still haven't applied and all the cones are over."

I asked, referring to the mehendi cones. He nodded my way and I went ahead to make wudhu and pray by the time he comes back.

Just in time as I wrapped my shawl around my head, we heard a knock.

Arisha's head snapped up and mine and Zara's eyes widened.

The knock was on the balcony. Which could only mean one thing, Zayaan was here to meet Zara.

And that was a very, extremely bad thing because right now, the house was alive, all the lights were on and none of the people were in the mood to sleep.

Which can prove to be a hundred percent excuse for Zayaan to get caught.

As all of them had henna on their hands, I rushed to the balcony, to see Zayaan pacing its length.

I ushered him away, "Zayaan jeeju, not now. Dad and chachu and everyone are up, and Ahad just went out, he can come up to the room anytime! Please go."

He furrowed his eyebrows as Zara stood behind me and Arisha remained in the room, keeping a watch on the door to make sure no one came now.

Wareesha stirred in her sleep and walked upto us,

"What's happening?"

I hushed her and forced Zayaan to climb down the balcony.

Zayaan however, was stubborn as he clung onto the balcony railing. I groaned and facepalmed myself, this guy ugh.

Zara shook her head and stepped ahead,

"For god's sake, get out!"

"Did the first thing she say after not seeing him for three weeks mean khuda ke waaste?!"

I glared at Wareesha to shut up and she instantly backed up behind Zara, while I handled the situation at hand.

Well, I tried to handle.

My hands pressed against his biceps  as if that would prevent him from entering our room.

If anyone sees us like this, we're so dead.

He just rolled his eyes at me, "Chill off, will you. Besides, I brought someone for you too."

I looked at him like he was mad, but then he motioned for me to look down.

And to his dismay, I shouldn't have. Because my hand, which was basically supporting him, slipped and left his grasp and instead covered my mouth so that the scream doesn't escape me.

He hung onto the balcony, desperately trying not to cuss at me, but my eyes were focused on a very amused figure standing beneath us.

Oh, hell no.