Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I didn't tell any of my friends about my current situation. I still find it weird that I am engaged to a man whom I haven't met yet. Besides, shouldn't I wear a ring? I am engaged but I still don't have a ring.

There is also little hope left in me that maybe my father would cancel the engagement and realize that I don't need anyone to help me secure my future.

My parents are right. No man would ever take me seriously nowadays. I am all just a pretty face and we know that beauty on the outside fades. I firmly believe that no man will ever love me and that is fine, I think. I don't need a man except for my brother.

They are also right that Theo Deltrazo is a good catch because he's from one of the richest families in the country. If I am to marry him, I can enjoy every piece of luxury in this world without worrying about money. People will think highly of me because of my husband. Maybe the stain on my name as a Del Rio will be gone if I marry him.

Even if I fail in school, I won't have to worry about my future because I have a Deltrazo with me. Even if I don't succeed in life not like what my father expected to happen to my brother and to my half-sister, I will not become a failure because I married a Deltrazo.

It's pleasing to the ears to hear all the positive things that can happen to me after marrying that Theo Deltrazo. It's tempting especially to my Mom who wishes to lift me and Kuya out of the burden of being Gonzalo Del Rio's illegitimate children.

What they didn't know is that even if I am not that smart kid in school, I am not dumb.

Why do I need a man for all those things to happen? Can't I splurge money on luxury if I don't marry that man? Will I only be deserving of the respect and admiration of people if I become a Deltrazo?

Why are they so sure that I won't succeed? Was it because I'm not smart?

The more I think about it, the more it irks me.

"Clara, help!", Jane went to me after she entered the classroom.

Jane is a fellow model and actress like me. She started entering the industry since she was a kid but stopped for a while during junior high school and returned now in senior high.

"Saan?", I asked.

She's beautiful and also talented. We're under the same management and luckily, she goes to the same school as me and we're classmates.

"I'm auditioning for this show. Next week pa naman ang audition kaya I still have time kaya lang kinakabahan ako. I filmed myself last night with the audition piece. Tingnan mo nga kung okay lang", she said and handed me her phone.

She wanted me to audition too but I lost interest. It's just that I don't think I am fit for the role.

"Your eyes... is this sad or guilty?", I asked her.

"Hindi ba 'yon magkatulad?", balik niya sa akin.

I paused the video and thought about it for a second.

"I don't think they're the same. You can be sad about something but not guilty about it and vice versa. If you want to show them that you're feeling sadness and guilt, then you should also make it look different. Hindi pwedeng ito lang ang mata mo kapag malungkot ka at ganoon lang din kapag guilty ka", I explained to her.

Napanganga siya sa akin.

"Bakit ba ayaw mo pang mag-full time? I'm thinking about going full-time and maybe just get home-schooled for college. Kung hindi naman kaya, titigil muna ako", she shared.