01101000

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -

"Be careful!" Jisung called, helping a child loop a bag around his shoulder. The child smiled at him, waving a goodbye after a tight hug around the leg. He smiled in content, checking his watch before bowing politely to the workers and rushing out the door, his legs swinging over his bike as he rode against the wind

Crashing against the wind, he winded down the path as he gleefully stepped off the bike; the wheels were still rolling, grazing his shoe against the concrete to make a stop outside a small building.

Taking the bags full of kimchi he had received as gifts from the kindergarten staff, he headed along the path and pushed open the glass door to be greeted with the same smiley faces he sees three times a week.

"You didn't have to!" An elder woman came and took the bags from him, pecking him on either side of the cheek while she was at it

"I know how much they love kimchi" He laughed, helping them take out the containers from the plastic bags. The bell had not rung, yet the families were already ecstatic of his presence and the aroma of fresh kimchi wafting in the air

"They must be hungry, they're so early today" He chuckled, setting the kimchi into the big metal tray. The woman beside him knocked him on the side, eyes squinting into a crescent moon "It's because they get to see your handsome face today."

"You're too nice" He carried the tray to the front stall, slipping it into position behind the glass that had too many handprints on it. They began lining up as they always have, each goggling their eyes to have a good look at the young boy.

"There's never a person who's 'too nice'" Another older woman replied, her voice ancient but full of life. Jisung smiled small, gathering up the tongs and placing them in their respective trays.

"I don't get why you still do this. I mean, you don't get paid and you're at the age to go party!" A woman with grey hair streaking between her brown roots arrived, apron on as she hands one to Jisung

"Volunteer work is my type of party" He reassured her "Can i ring the bell?"

"The honour is all yours"

And the bell rung vibrantly through the air, the joyful claps and hallows of those eager for food rung just as loudly. His ears had always found melody in happiness. His afternoon was spent like this, helping out the less fortunate and conversing with women who were quadruple his age.

He enjoyed it, but sometimes, a life like this made him question again.

Is this what you want?

This was best for him and his community, and benefits earned him free food and a shelter to stay at. Though, he didn't want to live off his elders pity anymore. He's received enough pity, and he didn't have enough time or riches to repay them.

The shift closed as usual, everyone gathering around to take a second glance at the youngster as he leaves the building with a heavy bag around his shoulder. Full off uncooked rice and white carrots.

The same everyday, if he was lucky, he'd get some extra side-dishes.

The sun was finishing its shift now, and I was just beginning to start mine. I joined the naive male and lit the candle of my torch, drawing a circle of light as he walked down the repetitive path.