Chapter 12- The voices we avoid

Dedicated to emana_mfon for her wonderful comments and generous votes on my book. I really appreciate it😘😘😘

Glad to see you continued!!!

Willis sits in the library, staring down at the book in front of him on a hot Monday afternoon. It's not like he was reading, the open book was like television in his eyes, replaying everything that had happened yesterday, every single detail of it.
He wasn't getting over it anytime soon.

"Willis," a voice came from behind him. He turns, and there she was, looking extraordinarily perfect in what she wore, as always.

"Danny, hey."

"Hi."

"May I?" She directs her eyes to the chair opposite him.

"Oh, yeah, have a seat."

"Thank you," she drops her books on the table and sits down.

After a moment they begin staring into each other's eyes, she smiles at him and starts up the conversation.
"I straightened my hair yesterday...just like you told me to, it's longer than it used to be, did you notice?"

"Yeah, I did," Willis answers, breaking their eye contact and refacing his book.

Right at that moment she then realizes why, "Ok, I'll drop the act. We need to talk, that's the real reason I'm here."

"Danny, there's nothing to talk about, ok?...you were right, we're just friends...so let's just keep it that way."

She could sense a hint of sadness in his tone, she quickly tries to explain herself.
"Willis no, I didn't mean it like..."

Suddenly, Willis feels a slight vibration coming from his pocket, his phone was ringing, "Hold that thought," he says to her as he reaches into his pocket and pulls out his phone. He looks at who it is, and by his facial expression, Danny could tell he wasn't so pleased. He slowly accepts the call and places the phone on his ear.

"What is it mom?" He asks sharply, obviously not interested in whatever her reason was for calling.

"Wow honey, that's one way to start a conversation with someone you haven't seen in almost a week now."

"Like I said...what is it mom?"

He hears her let out a deep sigh from the phone, "Willis, why do you always have to be this way all the time?"

"Mom, I'm gonna hang up now, cause it really seems to me that you have nothing better to say."

"Wait!" He hears her shout from the phone.

"Now tell me, what is it?"

She waits a moment before answering, "Tomorrow's the fourth of July."

"You're clearly stating the obvious mom."

"Please, just let me finish," she waits for another moment, "I want you to drop by the house tomorrow."

"What? And what made you think I would ever agree to do that," Willis asks, trying to hold in his laughter.

"Well because I have an announcement to make, and I need everyone to be there..."

"...Everyone?" His laughter seemed to have now gone in on its own, "It's just you and me mom, who else?...don't tell me Fred's gonna be there."

"Sweetie, he's family too."

"Since when?!" Willis exclaims as he pounds a fist on the table causing everything on it to shake. He then looks around only to notice that he had attracted the attention of most people in the library, including Danny, who just stares at him like he was some sort of monster.
On noticing her eyes, he undoes his fist and tries to calm down.

"I'll be there...but not alone, I'm bringing a friend."

"Willis, I clearly said family announcement, so I'm sorry, but you don't get to bring anyone."

"Oh, but you don't see me uninviting your uninvited guest."

He studies her quietness over the phone, "Yeah, that's what I thought."

"Willis, listen to me, there will come a day when you'll realize that you have to accept the fact that I'm with Fred now..."

"...Hate to inform you mom, but I've heard that one before."

"Willis..."

"...Bye mom," He hangs the phone and harshly drops it on the table.

"Willis are you ok?" Danny asks obviously feeling concerned.

"Never been better," Willis answers running a hand frustratedly through his hair.

"But then you don't look ok."

He covers up his face with both his hands, "Yeah, but I'll get over it...I always do."

"But are you sure you don't need someone to talk to now?... I mean, I'm here."

Slowly, he slides his hands down with a face that showed he had come up with something, "Danny, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, go for it," she readjusts her sitting position with interest, "I'm all ears."

"Do you have any plans for tomorrow? Any plans at all? With anyone?"

"Umm...well, none that I know of."

"Are you sure? With no one at all?"

Danny giggles, "Willis, most people I know are either stopping by their houses to see their family, or meeting up with friends for an outing...so I guess it's safe to say you're the first one to ask if I have plans," she concludes with a warm smile.

"Ok, so that clearly means you'll be available for my invitation then."

"Wow, I'm definitely sure I love where this is going." She says jokingly cause him to laugh.

"But seriously though, tomorrow I too have to stop by my house to see my mom...for some crappy family announcement."

"Family? And you want me to be there? And you think I'd be welcome?"

"What? Of course I do, don't worry yourself, I already checked in with her during the phone call, and she was the one who suggested I'd bring a friend."

"Ok, but are you sure about this?" She asks curiously.

"Danny, of course I am...trust me."

She tries but fails woefully in hiding her excitement, and due to that, she gets up and begins picking her books.

"Umm...I almost forgot, I have this thing I got to do, so I better get going."

"Oh, ok, sure thing."

"Yeah, text me the time, ok?"

"Ok, I will."

With that, she walks out of the library with the smile on her face still being as unerasable as ever.

Hey guys! Thank you so much to those of you who read till the end, it's much appreciated!
Please don't forget to kindly drop your comments and votes if you liked this chapter.
Thanks once again for reading.
Lots of love,
Francesca💖💖💖

Lots of love,Francesca💖💖💖