Chapter Thirty-Nine: What Are We?

Chapter Thirty-Nine: What are We?
Josh's POV
(If there are any spelling errors please let me know!)

I fiddled with my ring at the breakfast table.

It's been a few days. After the kiss on the roof Callum got all weird and twitchy and, to be honest, I didn't really understand what got him all twisted.

Yeah we kissed but we'd kissed before. Maybe it was because this moment was more sentimental? I dunno.

But anyways.

Now I was sitting at the table, watching as Callum grabbed food and slipped some down to his dog.

I could tell Callum felt incredibly guilty for staying at our house, he had started doing little jobs that required him to work for a random amount of hours a day. Some day it would take him thirty minutes, like if he were hanging up an old ladies decorations, and some days he'd wake up at dawn and wouldn't be home til I was in bed asleep.

I presume he was saving up so that, as soon as he turned 18 he could get an apartment or something.

"So Callum." My dad said, Causing Callum's Head to shoot up from his food. "How's the sister?" He asked, and I knew he wanted to talk more about Callum's family but he didn't want to be insensitive.

"Oh she's great, I talked to her recently, she said she's under a roof and she's being well taken care of and eating and honestly-" Callum dropped his stressed façade, "I'm really grateful." He ran a hand through his hair, which he had thankfully not cut into a mullet yet.

My dad nodded and it went kind of awkward before he put down his fork and said, with utmost confidence, "Be honest with me Callum, are you and Josh dating?"

My water flew from my mouth and sprayed Sylvia causing her to shriek.

Callum blinked a few times, as if he was taking a few moments to process that information.

"D-dad!" I exclaimed, wiping at my mouth and handing Sylvia a napkin.

My dad raised his hands in defense, "I was just asking, because if you are then—"

Callum cut him off, "Josh and I aren't dating." He waved his hands dismissively.

My dad raised an 'I don't believe you' eyebrow and I felt my entire face rush with heat as I put my face down on the table.

"Callum, you're a good boy, I've known you since you were an infant, so don't lie to me—"

Callum laughed awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck, "Why do I feel so trapped right now?" He asked, and my mom broke out of the daze that she was in.

"Okay. Maybe you two aren't dating right now, but if you do we want to let you guys know that we support you."

I groaned in absolute embarrassment.

"We will just have to make rules, like, no bedroom door closed or locked while you two are together or—"

"This is it." I murmured in my arms, "This is how I die, of embarrassment."