•1•

June sixteenth. The worst day of my life.
I look back on that day with so much anger, bitterness, and sadness. All I want is to be able to go back and change the past, just to have one more day with him. To tell him I loved him once more. Instead I sit here, looking over his grave.
My father is dead.
It hasn't fully sunken in yet. I'm still in shock, but I can't be. Not for long. I will soon be the leader of the mob. It is accustomed that the first born of the boss take over if something were to happen. My dad took over when his father died, and now it is my turn.
"Aurie, we're having a meeting and we need you.." Eli says from behind me.
As much as I don't want to see or talk to anyone right now, I cooperate, standing up from my spot and walking past him, into the house.
Eli is one of the men in this house that isn't an asshole, and has looked out for me most of my life. He was very close to my dad, and I know that he was told to look after me if anything were to happen.
As I step into the meeting room, all the men sit impatiently around the table, looking slightly nervous as I walk in. All except one, a boy I don't recognize. He stands not too tall, clean cut hair and well fitted suit. Flashy rings sit on his fingers that tap away on the desk. He's cocky, who even is he?
"Who are you?" I ask him directly.
He looks up at me, almost taken aback by my question.
"Who are you?" He asks, not giving me an answer.
"Does someone want to tell me why this guy is sitting in my fathers seat?" I ask loudly to the room, all the men staying silent and avoiding my gaze.
The man stands slowly, giving me a less than friendly smile as I turn to face him.
"Harrison Osterfield." He puts out his hand. "The new boss."
New boss? This has to be a mistake.
"You're shitting me right?" I scoff.
"Aurie-" Eli tries to interfere but I put my hand up to him, bringing his words to a halt.
"I am his daughter." I say.
"Exactly. Daughter." Harrison says. "A girl is not fit to be the boss of a mob."
My mouth drops, in complete shock.
"And some stranger off the street is?" I question.
"Do you know who I am?" He asks.
"No but I'm sure you're going to tell me." I say sarcastically, earning a few worried looks from the men around the table.
"I am a trained assassin, single handedly hacked into government files, and I own just about everything in London." He lists off his many 'successes' if that's what you'd like to call them.
"Is that suppose to impress me?" I ask.
"Yes, because it's quite impressive." He smirks, obviously having fun with this conversation. It's not entertaining at all to me.
"Who approved this guy?" I ask, looking around the table for an answer.
"Aurie.. your dad did." Eli says.
There's no way my dad would approve a guy like this.. he's on such a high horse he'd die if he fell off. My dad may have been one of the biggest mob bosses in London but he was humbled and didn't make everyone else around him feel small. This new guy is a dick.
"I do have some information for you that you'll like." Harrison says, pulling my attention back to him. "He agreed to make me boss, if you were my underboss."
"Your underboss?" I scoff. "This is absolutely ridiculous."
I turn on my heel, heading to walk out the door. There's no way I'm going to sit around here and listen to what this asshole has to say.
"Aurie wait-" Eli starts, but I walk out the door, slamming it behind me.
I can't help the sudden anger I feel towards my father. All this time he made me think I would take over the mob, but instead he brings in some stranger? How do we even know we can trust this guy?
As much as I protested, and complained about the burden of someday taking all of this into my hands.. I can't believe he actually gave it all away to someone else.
"This can't actually be happening." I groan to myself, laying back on the couch.
"What's happening, love?"
I sit up quickly, looking over to the bar area. A cheery looking brunette sits on the bar stool, sipping a beer. His brown eyes squint, his head tilting to the left questioningly.
"Who the hell are you?" I ask. I don't remember any new recruits coming.
"Oh sorry, I haven't introduced myself. I'm Tom." He smiles, hopping off the stool as he walks over to me. He juts his hand out to me, waiting for me to shake it.
"And why are you here, Tom?" I ask.
"My mate is the new boss around here." He shrugs.
Of course..
"And you are?" He asks.
"Aurie." I answer, making his eyes widen as he drops my hand.
"Well shit.." he mutters. "Was not expecting to embarrass myself in front of an important person today."
"It's okay.." I shake my head. "I'm not an asshole like everyone else, I don't expect everyone to know who I am."
Tom takes a seat next to me, completely taking me by surprise. He's not like Harrison at all, he's kinder, more likable. Although that could just be because he's not stealing my job.
"Aren't you suppose to be in the meeting right now?" He asks me.
"Probably." I nod.
"And you're not because?.." he trails off.
"Because Harrison is a dick." I answer, making his brows raise, a small laugh escaping his lips.
"I can't argue with that." He mutters.
I see all the guys start to pass the living room, going down the hallway to get to work for the day. The meeting must be over. Just as quickly as my bad mood lifted, it returns once more when I see that assholes face.
"Ah I see you two have met." Harrison comments as he walks into the room.
"Yeah, she's not too fond of you, mate." Tom says.
He's not wrong.
"Yeah she made that pretty clear." Harrison says, looking over to me. "Not too fond of you either, darling."
"Glad we're on the same page." I nod.
I stand up from the couch, giving Tom a quick smile.
"It was nice to meet you, Tom." I say.
"You too, Aurie."

A/N: aaa first chapter! Let me know if you guys like it! :)