•14•

I never use to care about what people would think of me for the choices I make. I know what's best for the mob, this woman needs to be taken care of so she can never be a threat to us again.
Then there's Aurie.
I can't just kill her mother. I can't be the one to blame. I'm pulled from my thoughts when my office door opens, and I see her walk in.
"She's still down there.." she says quietly, shutting the door behind her.
"Yeah she is." I sigh.
"Haz I really just want her gone..I don't know what happened but she's not the same person anymore." She shakes her head.
I nod to the chair across from me for her to take a seat. She sits and I begin to explain my hesitation.
"She's changed because she was scared." I start. "She got scared and she left. It was an awful thing she did but, are you really going to be mad at her forever?"
Aurie stares at the ground, not saying anything but just processing my question. I feel so bad for her.. the last thing she needs right now is to deal with this shit.
Loud gunshots sound, making both of our heads lift quickly. I jump up from my seat, pulling my hand gun from the drawer of my desk. Aurie pulls her gun from her holster and I grab her arm, getting her attention.
"Stay here." I say.
"Haz. You need to stop treating me like I'm fragile. Please." She says with pleading eyes.
More gunshots sound and she nods her head to me, waiting for confirmation that she can go.
"Fine." I sigh, stepping in front of her.
I slowly open the door, aiming my gun out into the hallway. Someone cut the power.. it's pitch black.
"Watch the door I'm going to grab us flashlights." I say.
Aurie stands in my place, and I quickly and quietly grab two flashlights from my desk drawer, handing one to her. We walk out, illuminating the hallway as we search each room we pass. Why haven't we heard more gunshots?
"Guys.. help." We hear a groan.
I point my flashlight towards the sound, seeing Eli on the ground with a bullet to his leg.
"Eli!" Aurie quickly makes her way over to him, collapsing to the ground next to him. I stand watch, scanning the room as she takes care of him.

•Aurie's pov•
As soon as I see my best friend lying on the floor, blood spewing from his leg my heart stops. I drop to my knees, checking the wound.
"Give me your shirt Eli." I say.
"What?" He says, obviously groggy from the blood loss.
"Fuck." I mutter as I grab ahold of his shirt, ripping a strip of it off and quickly tying it tightly around his bullet wound.
More shots sound and my heart rate quickens.
"Do you have your gun?" I ask.
Eli nods slowly, holding his gun up in his hand.
"I'll be okay, go take care of it." He says to me in a weak voice. "Be careful."
"I will. I'll be right back." I say, kissing his head and standing to my feet.
Haz and I head toward the sound of the gunshots which is coming from to other side of the house. Our feet run quickly, and some people come into our sight as we get to the end of the hallway. It's a few of the men, armed, but just standing there.
"What's going on?" I ask.
"She has someone." One of the men say. "If we go in there she might kill him.."
"She? Who's she?" Haz asks.
"It's um.. it's your mother."
How did she even get out? Fuck.. I knew something bad would happen because of her. She shot my best friend..
"Who does she have?" Haz asks.
"We don't know." The man says.
"I can go in. She won't shoot me." I say.
"You don't know that." Haz shakes his head.
"Haz.. now is the time you have to trust me.." I state. "I can do this."
He gives me a worried look, obviously not happy about this being the one and only solution.
"Fine. But you take your gun, hide it. She can't know you have it on you." He says. "If you need me I'll be right out here."
"I won't." I nod assuringly, turning to the guys.
"Eli was shot. He's down the hall and he needs help. Call the doctor and have them down here immediately." I say, and they quickly head off.
Haz grabs my hand, making me look back to him before heading into the room.
"Please be careful." He says.
"I will." I assure him, giving his hand a squeeze before letting it go.
I put my hand on the doorknob, turning it slowly and opening it. The lights in here are working, and I turn off my flashlight. My eyes widen when I see who she has.
"Tom." I breath out, walking further into the library where she's keeping him.
"I'm okay darling." He says.
He beaten, he's hurt.. she did this to him.
"Where is she?" I ask.
"I'm right here."
I turn to the side of the room, seeing my mother sitting there, a gun in her hand.
"You hurt him." I say.
"You said you wanted me dead." She states. "So I figured I'd hurt you the same way. Couldn't choose between the blue eyed boy and this one though.. seems you like to play people, lead them on."
"So then hurt me, but do not touch my friends." I say angrily, untying the rope that's holding Tom to the chair. This poor guy, he didn't sign up for this.
"I just need money." She says, walking towards me.
I get Tom undone, and he stands to his feet.
"Go." I say to him.
"You can't be alone with her-" he starts.
"Tom, go.. I've got this."
He gives me a nervous look, but knows to just nod and leave the room. After shutting the door behind him my mother catches my attention once more, making me scowl.
"Three million. That's all I need." She says.
"No." I say sternly.
"Aurie, I don't want to be here as much as you don't want me here. Give me the money and you'll never see me again."
I laugh lightly, shaking my head at her.
"See I find it funny that you think we're going to compromise. First you stalked me, then you shot my best friend, beat up Tom, and now you're demanding money?" I take notice of her gun, now set on the table by the chair she was sitting in. I slowly pull mine, and hold it up to her. The way her eyes widen, almost in complete shock makes a smile form on my face.
"This isn't a game to me, mother. You will not be leaving this room." I say.
"Aurie, if you do this you will regret it. They will find you." She warns.
Who will find me? This is obviously just her way of trying to get out of this.. and it's not going to work. This woman has done enough. She ruined me when I was a young girl, and I will not give her that power again.
"Goodbye, mother." I say, pressing the gun to her head, and pulling the trigger.