Chapter 9

Dante was ten minutes late for his next appointment. Something out of character for him. He was never late. But, he couldn't resist stopping by to check on Trinity and invite her to the dinner he was hosting. 

Dante smirked recalling how she pressed him on his marital status. She was genuinely embarrassed when he teased her, but then dismissive. Eager to change the nature of the conversation to a more professional tone.

He was an ass for making her blush, and an ass for inviting her to La Notte. The very club where her husband exploited her for bragging rights. What was wrong with him?

Nodding at a few people, Dante was happy when he finally reached his office. He wasn't surprised to find his appointment waiting inside. Samuel. The man was pacing. He never seemed the impatient type. Yeah, he was ten minutes late. So what? Samuel knew his place. He knew better than to question him. Why the fuck he was pacing was beyond him.

"Samuel. Thanks for waiting."

"No problem. Just getting my steps in."

"That so?" Interesting.

"Wife has me on a diet. Says I gotta gut. I don't know what the hell she's talkin' 'bout," Samuel's mustache stretched over his lip.

Dante gestured to a chair before taking his own seat. "What do you have for me?"

"Straight to business today, huh? Aren't ya gonna offer me a drink?"

"It's nine in the morning, Samuel."

"Heh. Forgot. My old mind thinks I'm halfway across the world sometimes," Samuel scratched his head.

Dante rolled his eyes.

"Where was I? Oh yeah. Mr. David Fallon. Boy, did he go crazy last night. Paced 'round his kitchen for 'bout an hour. Then tore the place up before making some phone calls."

Dante laced his fingers leaning forward over the desk. Samuel was one of the best investigators he ever employed, but the man was a little scatter brained at times from all the drinking he did. He could hardly blame him. Samuel had been witness to some gruesome shit. Still, he seemed to be a bit shaky today. Hopefully he was sober while he worked last night. He didn't need any slip ups.

"Were you drinking last night, Sam?"

"No. I can give you my word on that, boss."

The stone-cold expression was either very practiced or genuine. Dante chose the latter. The man better be genuine. He didn't care how long he'd been in his employ or how good he was. There was no room for error in his line of business.

"Go on."

"He called Becky Reynolds who, judging from the call, is a friend of Mrs. Fallon. Becky told him she hadn't seen Trinity. She tried to ask him a question, but he hung up on her. Then he called a guy by the name of Stephen Lauren. He works with Mr. Fallon. He told Stephen to put out an all-points bulletin on Mrs. Fallon. Stephen was reluctant to do it, but told Mr. Fallon he would address it today. After that call, he drank till he passed out."

"Did he go to work this morning?"

"Yup."

"Thank you, Samuel. See Ms. Jewell before you leave. I'll be in touch."

Samuel saluted Dante on his way out the door.

Interesting Mr. Fallon hadn't yet paid a visit to Venturi Transportation. He was certain he would. Dante drummed his fingers on his desk, biting the thumb of his other hand. It was only nine. And even though Fallon was already at work, he was sure to be hung over. He might just be moving a little slow. Time would tell.