Chapter 12

A hazy resolve settled over David's eyes. Finally, the man sobered and understood. The pain from his broken hands must have numbed or dulled as well because he was no longer screaming and crying. The tears had dried, and he was now silent.

It came at no surprise to Dante. Anyone he ever tortured always experienced what he liked to call the awakening. It was the realization for what was happening...was in fact happening. It was the realization that nothing would save them. No one would come, no one would look for them and no one would miss them once they were discovered gone.

Dante was actually somewhat impressed the awakening happened pretty fast for David. With all the hysterics, he thought it would take longer. The next stage would probably be the bargaining. Surely, David would think of some fantastic argument meant to sway him. Surely. Dante chuckled. As if. Nothing would or could save David Fallon at this point short of a bomb being dropped on the city. And that, most definitely, wouldn't happen.

"Before we leave, I'll let you have a last meal. What would you like?" he asked rubbing his hands together.

"I-I want my wife's chili!" David abruptly shouted, his eyes expectant.

Of course David would take this as a chance. He really had nothing to lose. But, did David truly believe he would ever grant such a wish? If Dante wasn't mistaken, he thought he actually saw a real glimmer of hope in the man's eyes. This hope, yet false, was still hope indeed.

"You wife's chili?" Dante feigned surprised. "And would you like for her to bring it in herself?"

"Yes...please." David dared to glance up.

Hmm. Was it hope in his eyes or was it calculation? Hilarious. Dante nodded and turned to his keyboard to type a few keystrokes, then rubbed his chin. "Let me see here. Ah," he clicked his tongue. "That's a real shame. She is not on the schedule today. Mmm. Mmm. Mmm. That's too bad, Mr. Fallon. I truly was hoping to get you that last meal. I guess it's not gonna work out." Dante slapped his hands down onto his armrests. "Well, boys. Shall we get going? Phase two?"

Michael held the door open while Andrew took David by the elbow.

"What are you doing? Where are we going?" David panicked, darting his glance between Andrew and Dante. "I-I-I'm not going anywhere!"

"Yes, you are, Mr. Fallon. My guess is that you're going straight to hell," Dante answered.

"You're no better!" David screamed. "You're no better!"

"I don't beat or kill women, Mr. Fallon. I suspect if God had to choose between the two of us, he'd definitely pick me thereby making me the better man. Of course, I don't really consider you a man. Anyway, I have a special treat in store for you."

"What?" David stumbled while Andrew push and pulled him along keeping him somewhat upright.

"Oh, you'll see. Once we're on the road, it'll only take us a few minutes to arrive at our destination. I don't know about you, but I am excited."

"I'm not excited at all! Help! Help!" David screamed at the top of his lungs as the men navigated their way through the building's back hallways.

David's voice reverberated off the walls creating an echo. Not all rooms and hallways were soundproof. However, the hallway they were currently in was. A good thing at that. David was extremely loud.

"No one can hear you, Mr. Fallon," Dante explained bored.

Bright sunlight and a black limousine greeted them as soon as they stepped out of the building. Andrew shoved David inside the vehicle while Michael pulled him through the other side, righting him in his seat. Dante followed, sitting opposite David, with a smile and a taunting raise of his brows before a thoughtful expression settled over his face.