Chapter 22

Trinity's hands shook as she read the letter she pulled out of the mailbox. It eclipsed her feelings for how she overreacted with Dante the other day. This letter was so much worse. So this was why. This was the answer to the question she had pondered for weeks and weeks. How could she? Her eyes traveled over the one page worth of handwriting.

     Trinity, I saw you called more than once after you told me David died. I didn't pick up for a reason. Maybe I should grow up and just call you. Give you the decency of hearing it from my mouth. Thing is, I'm not decent. I guess I should probably explain.

     Remember when I came up with a plan for you to stay with me, and David found you and took you home? He knew where you were because of me. Any time you were with me he knew, because I told him. Trinity, David and I were having an affair. How you never figured us out, I'll never know. I guess you always were a little dim.

     You had a talent for constantly pissing him off with stupid shit you did too. He was so sick of you and told me he was gonna kill you. I believed him. That's when I put the bug in his mother's ear. Yeah, we were close. I told her you should be contributing more instead of letting your money troubles fall on your husband's shoulders. I knew she would nag him about it. Then, I helped you find a job so he would change his mind about killing you. I'm not a good person, but I didn't want to see you die either. It was all I could think of doing.

     Anyway...sorry.

How? How could Becky do this to her? No wonder he always found out! She just assumed David tracked her. How long had this been going on for? Why did he marry her when he could have married Becky? They all went to school together. None of this made any sense. Was this some kind of sick joke?

Hurt and anger coursed through Trinity. Sure she experienced anger like any normal human being, but this was more than that. This strange feeling was hate. It was new to her.

Placing the letter down, she decided to sit outside on the back porch. She needed air. Did Becky know everything she endured with David? Because she certainly hadn't told her everything. Did David? And if he told Becky, how could she not help sooner? Was Becky hoping, deep down, she would die despite her flimsy letter of explanation that only left more questions?

Tears started to fill, but Trinity blinked them away. No. She wasn't going to do it. She wasn't going to cry anymore over David or anything David related. Enough was enough.

She was so sick and tired of feeling hurt, worried, embarrassed, stressed, sick, the list went on and on. She deserved to be happy dammit. Going back inside, she quickly dressed for work. Hopefully, no one bothered her today. Chances were high she would be left alone because Ms. Jewell took the day off. She had been doing that more and more, leaving most the responsibilities for Trinity to handle.

The only people she really had to avoid was Dante, Gio, Eugenia, Parker, Roger and Sarah. Six people who were always seeking her out to chat or lunch or take breaks with. She loved her new friends, but today she needed to be left alone.

If Ms. Jewell were in, she could have called in sick. Dang it. Oh well. She'd just go and stay in her office all day. In fact, she should pack a lunch. Yeah. After Trinity gathered everything she needed for the day, she headed to the office.

Venturi Transportation soon came into view. It was a huge building, and Dante owned the entire thing. Just how rich was he? He owned this giant company as well as a night club and rental properties. Did he own any other companies? If she really took a step back, she didn't know a whole lot.

Was she being stupid? She put her trust into a total stranger based on what? Not much.

"Hi Trinity!"