Chapter 14

A week passed since David died. During that time, Trinity was busy arranging his cremation and burial while his mother held a celebration of life ceremony. Trinity chose not to attend.

Her next project was selecting a real estate agent to take care of the house. Perhaps she would have them do an auction for all the furniture and items too. She didn't really keep anything of any sentimental value to worry about. Her clothes and shoes weren't that great either, and so wouldn't be missed. To sell everything would be so much easier. 

Although, on second thought, she did have a few picture albums. Maybe if she gave Becky a list, she could grab some things for her. If not, she'd let it go. Maybe she'd call Becky after work.

There were a bunch of financial things she had to take care of as well. Contact the Social Security Administration, let her banks know and talk to someone about David's pension. Eugenia suggested she hire an attorney. She agreed. All the things needed to be done when someone died was surprising and extremely overwhelming.

Pushing everything out of her mind, she started to get moving. Slipping into her buff-colored heels, she checked her appearance in the full-length mirror mounted to the back of her bedroom door. She chose a navy Pointelle skirt that dropped just below the knee and matching short-sleeved top with a cute ruffled hem. She decided to pull her hair back into a curled ponytail for a clean look. Her makeup was kept simple, mascara and a very light pink lip gloss.

Trinity turned a little to see the back of the outfit, then faced front again. Did she look like a widow? No. She looked put together. Smart. She looked like a business woman even though she was far from it. It didn't matter. Everyone at Venturi Transportation looked important. She would fit in well.

The finishing touch to her professional ensemble was her handbag. Eugenia insisted she buy an expensive Prada bag. At the time, she had no idea what Prada was. Then she saw the tag. Twenty-four hundred dollars later, she knew. Eugenia waved off her mortification telling her accounting wouldn't blink an eye at the receipt. She also told her to get used to it. It must be normal for Dante to shower his employees then? Shrugging, she headed out.

After a short drive, she entered the building noticing a new girl at the front desk. Originally, she was supposed to be sitting there but Dante told her she was going to be working on his floor. May as well head up. Trinity wondered what floor Eugenia worked on. With everything going on, she never asked her. She was a bad friend.

Luckily, they worked in the same building. She would make it up to her. Maybe after she received her first paycheck, she could take Eugenia out to dinner and spend more time with her. It was the very least she could do after everything the woman had done for her. Eugenia was a great friend. Not many people would bend over backwards like Eugenia did. So it was a plan. She had Becky and Eugenia to call after work.

Stepping onto the elevator, Trinity was happy to be alone. The small hot box wasn't exactly her most favorite place to be. Visions of being stuck in one with strangers always danced in her mind. Suddenly, the elevator stopped. She glanced up to see it was the second floor. The doors opened to reveal an attractive man a little taller than herself with a stocky build. He looked to be in his mid-thirties.

"Hello," he greeted with a happy smile.

"Hello." Thank goodness she didn't stutter. She hated when she did that.

"I've never seen you before. You new?"

"I am," Trinity smiled back. Hurry up elevator. Why did she have to work on the top floor?

The man looked at the button panel. "You work for Ms. Jewell?"

"U-um, yes."

"Nice. Name's Roger. Good to meet ya," he held out a meaty hand.