Chapter 21

Yes. Life changed with that one syllable. Trinity didn't think it was possible. She could only describe her new life with Dante as a whirlwind. Except there was something on her mind of late. It had been one month, and she still wasn't ready to sleep with him. He was being so patient. What if he grew tired of waiting? What if he became angry with her? It was a topic she kept brushing under the proverbial rug every time it popped at the forefront.

Another thing nagging her mind for the last few weeks was her best friend. Ever since that night at La Notte, Gio had been acting weird. Sure he was still his smiling self, but something was different. She couldn't put a finger on it. Hopefully, today was the day she could figure it out. She invited him over for lunch and a movie. It had been some time since it was just the two of them.

Dante occupied much of her time along with work. She needed a day off from private dinners, museum tours, plays and ballets. The list went on and on. Dante managed to expose her to more than what she'd ever experienced in one month compared to her entire lifetime. Not that she was complaining. Every experience felt like magic. Especially the ballet. That was her favorite.

But, today would be a girls' day. Wait. Not girls' day. Bestie day. Hopefully, Dante behaved and stayed away. She needed one-on-one time with Gio to try and unravel his weird mood. There was something she just couldn't pinpoint.

Trinity took the last tray of Gio's favorite chocolate chip cookies out of the oven, then popped in her lasagna. Sliding the dish in, a flash back crossed her mind. Thankfully, she was getting better at shutting them down using her therapist's techniques. It was nice to be able to cook without avoiding certain recipes. Plus, Gio loved lasagna. He was going to die over hers.

Wiping her hands off, she went into the living room and brought up a movie app. What to watch? Something scary, romantic or funny? Maybe something funny. Jumanji with Dwayne Johnson was pretty funny, although old.

Gio came strolling in. Woah. Hadn't she locked her door? Yikes.

"Hey, babe. Brought the vino! Dad's nineteen seventy-eight, Petrus, Merlot, from Pomerol in Bordeaux. This is gonna be great. He doesn't even know I took it. Heh."

"I have no clue what you just said. All I heard was nineteen seventy-eight, and feel grossed out."

"Aww. No way. It's gonna be delicious. Trust me. Dad has a wine cellar where he keeps everything perfect. You'll see."

"I guess. So how about Jumanji?" Trinity held up the remote.

"Um, okay," he said plopping down onto the couch with a sigh.

"We don't have to watch that one, silly. Pick whatever. I like all movies."

"Alright!" Gio clapped his hands, then paused sniffing the air. "I smell them," his head whipped to the kitchen. "Please tell me I'm smelling your cookies. Please, Trinity."

"Yup. I'm also making my famous lasagna and garlic bread," she sang.

"I'm so...happy," he snuffled. "Can I have a cookie while we wait for dinner?"

"What? No way. You'll spoil your appetite."

Gio jumped up from the couch. "Do I look like I'm going to spoil my appetite? Your boy is fit now. I dropped weight. I can have an extra cookie."

His expression was challenging. A haze settled over his eyes. Trinity knew that look. It was a look of determination. He was going to make a break for her kitchen. She took a defensive stance similar to a baseball player on the first base line.

"Don't you dare, Gio."

"Oh, I dare. You can't beat me. I'm stronger than you. I've been working out. See these guns?"