Chapter 1: Destiny

"You've got company!" A voice yells and then Katara hears a body fall down the same hole she fell down.
"Zuko!" Katara yells. Her shocked face becoming an angry one as Zuko sits up, looking back at her with surprise, and the hole closes behind him.
"Why did they throw you in here? Oh, wait, let me guess. It's a trap. So that when Aang shows up to help me, you can finally have him in your little Fire Nation clutches!" He says nothing which only fuels her anger. "You're a terrible person! You know that? Always following us! Hunting the Avatar! Trying to capture the world's last hope for peace! But what do you care? You're the Fire Lord's son. Spreading war and violence and hatred is in your blood!" His face turns red. "You don't know what you're talking about!" Katara at least had some satisfaction that she'd striked a nerve. "I don't? How dare you! You have no idea what this war has put me through! Me personally! The Fire Nation took my mother away from me." She sobbed the last part.
Zuko felt some shame. "I'm sorry." He paused. "That's something we have in common." Kataras tear streaked face looked up at him in surprise.
After a moment of silence Katara spoke up. "I'm sorry I yelled at you before." Zuko rolled his eyes at the sudden change of attitude. "It doesn't matter." "It's just that for so long now, whenever I would imagine the face of the enemy, it was your face" She trailed off. "My face? I see." Katara blushed. "No, no, that's-that's not what I mean." Zuko cut her off. "It's okay. I used to think this scar marked me. The mark of the banished prince, cursed to chase the Avatar forever. But lately, I've realized I'm free to determine my own destiny, even if I'll never be free of my mark."
An idea crossed her mind" Maybe you could be free of it." "What?" She got up and crossed over to him. "I have healing abilities." It's a scar, it can't be healed." Katara held up a vile. "This is water from the Spirit Oasis at the North Pole. It has special properties, so I've been saving it for something important. I don't know if it would work, but ..." She trailed off putting a hand on his scar. Zuko closes his eyes, only to be interrupted by Aang and Iroh.
"Aang!" Katara yelled running to hug him. Who briefly smiles at her, then looks over Katara's shoulder to glare at Zuko, to which he returned.
"Aang, I knew you would come." She smiled hugging Aang again. "Uncle, I don't understand. What are you doing with the Avatar?" Zuko said pointing at the Avatar. Aang glared at the fire bender again. "Saving you, that's what." Zuko growled and took one confrontational step in Aang's direction, but Iroh stops him. "Zuko, it's time we talked." Iroh turned to the younger two benders. "Go help you other friends. We'll catch up with you."
As they walk away, Katara looks back at Zuko, who is looking sadly to the side, before moving on. And she finds herself feeling something different inside towards him.
"Why, Uncle?" Zuko asked hurt. "You're not the man you used to be, Zuko. You are stronger and wiser and freer than you have ever been. And now you have come to the crossroads of your destiny. It's time for you to choose. It's time for you to choose good." Iroh smiled at his nephew.
As Zuko contemplates what his uncle is telling him, he yells as crystals grow to encase Iroh. He assumes a fighting position to prepare for the intruders.
Azula and two Dai Li agent's slide down the slides in the camber. "I expected this kind of treachery from Uncle." She starts, looking at her Uncle, still trapped in crystals. Zuko took a protective stance in front of his uncle. "But Zuko, Prince Zuko, you're a lot of things, but you're not a traitor, are you?" Zuko growls" Release him immediately." "It's not too late for you, Zuko. You can still redeem yourself." "The kind of redemption she offers is not for you." Iroh cuts in. "Why don't you let him decide, Uncle?" Azula sneerers in his direction. "I need you, Zuko. I've plotted every move of this day, this glorious day in Fire Nation history, and the only way we win is together. At the end of this day, you will have your honor back. You will have Father's love. You will have everything you want." "Zuko, I am begging you. Look into your heart and see what it is that you truly want." Iroh pleads Zuko looks to the floor torn with what to choose. "You are free to choose." Azula hums." As she and the Dia Li race off towards the Avatar.