Chapter 25: Peaceful

Zuko

They threatened her. They knew where she was and Raisi threatened 'she was all his' again. I knew I needed to be calm we needed everyone else downstairs taken out before I did anything to the two men in front of him. But Raisi started saying all the things he was going to do with her and I couldn't help it I saw red. I took down Raisi in a few moves but that wasn't the problem. In all my anger I let it blindside me. I forgot that he was not my only enemy in that room, but I still stood over Raisi like he was. The moment of ignorance lead to my father stepping in seeing his moment. There was pain and a spreading, sticky, warmth.
My father had closed the gap behind me and I looked down at his hands gripping the hilt of a dagger. He twisted the blade before forcefully pulling it from my body. As if on cue my three friends burst through the door just as I staggered forward towards them. Sokka caught me before I hit the floor and started pulling me out of the room as I assume they fought my father. I'm sure he was much easier than the last time Aang fought him now with his bending gone. But who am I to say that I just underestimated him. "Don't worry buddy you're ok." Sokka muttered dragging me to Appa. "Katara.." I breathed through the pain in my stomach. "Ya ya don't worry we'll take you to Katara you'll be good as new." "Sokka!" Toph cried as the other two ran up behind us. Aang came to my other side throwing my other arm over his shoulder. They must have done what needed to be done then.
"Aang heal him!" Sokka ordered as he climbed up on Appa's head. "Yipp Yipp!" And the bison took off. "I'm not a healer! I can't-" "You don't need to make him better you just need to make him last till Katara!" Sokka yelled. He was intense in emergency situations. There was a few more words exchanged but everything started sounding funny but I caught Tophs small voice, "It's bad isn't it.." before the dark took over.

Katara couldn't help the tears fall down her face as she worked on the man under her glowing hands. Aang had told her what happened and if it wasn't for Sokka's quick thinking he might have been dead. But here they were in the middle of the yard and he was still there.
After a few moments but what seems like hours she sees his chest take a deep breath and his eyes open partly then looks around at his friends surrounding him.
Then he feels it her arms wrapped around him holding him tight for a moment the firebender stiffens unsure how to react. Unsure what has happened but then the memories flood his brain and he realizes he made it back to her. Like he promised.
He sits up knees coming to ether side of her and tucks her underneath his chin. Zuko feels her trembling, feels the desperate way she is clutching him. The pain in his stomach is still there but he not dare show it wanting to keep her as close as possible. One hand goes to her hair the other around her waist pulling her closer.
"Shh, just take a breath, breathe." he murmurs, because that is what his mother used to say when he couldn't stop crying. "Just breathe." He realizes that she is saying something, whispering it over and over against the skin of his neck. "I love you," she whimpers tightening her grip. "I love you." She repeats again and Zuko's heart pounds, Aang was right.
He kisses her once, twice. Because he can hardly bare it anymore. He loves her and she loves him. And now everyone close to them knows too. So he cradles her face between his hands kissing her again, then whipping the tears away with the pad of his thumbs. "What is going on?" Sokka said breaking the moment. Katara just laughs lightly holding one of Zuko's hands against her cheek.

Everything seemed to go back to being at peace. Because that's how it's supposed to be, easy and peaceful. Life after you save the world is supposed to be easy and peaceful. Aang, Sokka, and Toph returned to the building of Republic City. Katara stayed with Zuko. He needed more healing sessions she said but every one already knew how they felt about each other they knew she would stay long after the sessions were over.

They weren't all 5 together again for another two years. A wedding, Toph and Sokka beat them to it. It was small but beautiful, Sokka cried. Aang brought his new girlfriend, an Air Acolyte named Kin he was happy. Toph asked Katara and Zuko when they would get married Zuko smiled and said "When she says yes." And 6 months later she did.
"You have to wait till next year though." She said laying in bed cuddled next to him as they played with each other's fingers. "You've made me wait long enough I can have everything done in 4 months." Zuko huffed. "I don't want to be pregnant at the wedding." "Pregnant wh-" Zuko sat up looking down at her the realization hitting him. "You're?" Katara nodded her face lit up in a smile. "We're having a baby?" He asked looking at her for confirmation again. "We're having a baby." "We're having a baby!" He yelled leaping out from under the covers to and jumped on the bed. Katara laughed she knew he was going to be excited. Zuko stopped his little party and sat back now pulling her close to him. "You're going to marry me and we're having a baby." "Yes." She felt tears come to her eyes seeing his. "I love you." He told her before kissing her passionately.

The wedding day was everything they had hoped for and everything they both deserved. Everyone they loved was there. Hakoda almost laughed as his daughter almost sprinted down the isle towards the Fire Lord. Zuko tried keeping it together once he finally saw her but like Sokka failed and let a few slip. Aang did the ceremony a smile never leaving his face. Iroh held their sleeping daughter, Kya.

Zuko crawled into bed next to sleeping Katara he finally got Kya asleep. She was 3 now and was a fighter when it came to bedtime. "I rise with the moon!" She'd tell them. But when Zuko would hold her against his warm body she would always fall asleep for him. Zuko curled himself around his wife and kissed her cheek, she awoke and turned to smile at him. "She asleep?" "Out like Uncle." Katara giggled. "She likes you better than me." "Dad will always be cooler than mom." He grinned back at her. "Maybe this one will like you better though." Zuko said running his hand over her swollen belly. "He's a firebender I don't think he will." "Firebender you think huh?" She nodded "I was right about Kya." "Lucky guess." They both laughed before sharing a kiss and falling asleep.

This is how life is supposed to be peaceful bliss.

The End.