Chapter 2 Slave

The water bender struggled in her chains furious but also frightened. At least Aang is safe. She thought. It was dark in her cell but she could still feel the rocking of the boat as they sailed off to the capital. Katara tried to erase the firebenders face as his sister presented him with her as a "gift". A mixture of shame and shock. She couldn't help but wonder what he would do with her. Praying to whoever spirit would listen that it was nothing she had heard stories about from the other prisoners.
When the boat docked she was escorted by a dozen guards to the palace.
"So this is the water bender peasant that has been with the Avatar." Fire Lord Ozia spoke as she stood in front of the firey throne. "You've been away for a long time. I see the weight of your travels has changed you. You have redeemed yourself, my son. Welcome home."
"I am proud of you, Prince Zuko. I am proud because you and your sister conquered Ba Sing Se. I am proud because when your loyalty was tested by your treacherous uncle, you did the right thing and captured the traitor. And I am proudest of all of your most legendary accomplishment: you slayed the Avatar." Zuko looked up shocked. "What did you hear?" "Azula told me everything. She said she was amazed and impressed at your power and ferocity at the moment of truth." Zuko frowns.

Zuko strides down the hall till he finds the one he wants and enters it not bothering to knock.
"Why'd you do it?" He states waking up the girl on the bed. "You're going to have to be a little more specific." Azula says peaking at him. "Why did you tell Father that I was the one who killed the Avatar?" "Can't this wait until the morning?" She asks closing her eyes again. "It. Can't." Zuko hisses. Azula sighs and opens her eyes. "Fine. You seemed so worried about how Father would treat you because you hadn't captured the Avatar. I figured if I gave you the credit, you'd have nothing to worry about." "But why?" The princess got out of bed and crossed to him. "Call it a generous gesture. I wanted to thank you for your help and I was happy to share the glory." "You're lying." Zuko studied his sister. "If you say so ..." she sang walking past him. "You have another motive for doing this, I just haven't figured out what it is." "Please Zuko, what ulterior motive could I have? What could I possibly gain by letting you get all the glory for defeating the Avatar? Unless, somehow, the Avatar was actually alive. All that glory would suddenly turn to shame and foolishness. But you said it yourself, that was impossible." Zuko shakes his head and begins to leave. "Sleep well, Zuzu." Azula called after him.
Zuko headed down to the cells to acquire his new gift. He has had slaves before but never a "personal" one that was his alone.
He found the waterbender in the corner of a sell her knees up to her chest and arms wrapped around her knees. She didn't bother to look at him. "Do us both a favor and make this easy. Get up and follow me." He ordered opening the door. She ignored him. He scowled. Zuko reaches him grabbing a handful of her knotted unruly hair and pulled her along, her legs kicking at him and she hands tried pulling at his hands. "Let go of me you-" Zuko threw her to the floor. "Let's get one thing straight peasant, you listen to me now. You can't bend I can and I will have no hesitation to do what is necessary do you understand me." "Wh-why can't I bend?" Katara asked in horror. She hadn't even attempted to since she woke up on the boat knowing she couldn't make it out alive if she tried. "We learned how to block your chi and until we decide other wise it will stay that way. Now get up." The girl on the floor didn't budge. "Do I have to pull you like an animal again?" He asked. She hesitantly stood to her feet knowing she was fighting a losing battle.
She followed him down a series of halls until he stopped at a door. Knocked. A older woman opened the door and bowed as she let them in. Zuko stood in the corner and the old woman took over. "I am Kena I am in charge of all servants. These are your new clothes." The old woman handed katara a pile of clothes. She stared at the red pile in her hands already missing the blue. "You are to bath and get cleaned up then change into those. Next you will get your insignia arm bands and cuffs. Understood?" Katara nodded her voice caught in her throat. "Good I will be back to collect you when you are done." Zuko said leaving the room.
Once changed and cuffed up she stared at herself in the mirror. "What does the insignia mean?" She asked the woman. "That you belong to the Crowned Prince." Katara frowned.
When Zuko arrived back she followed him again down a series of halls. He opened a door not bothering to knock this time and walked in. They stood in a large room obviously his. He pointed to another door on the left. "That's yours." She opened the door it wasn't very large just big enough for a bed. She raised an eyebrow at him."It's to keep an eye on you." He huffed walking back to the main room. "I have some rules." She crossed her arms. "One. Don't go anywhere without me. Two. You will address me as Crowned Prince or Prince Zuko at all times. Three. You will do as your told or so help me Agni I will kill you." "I don't have much choice then do I." "Don't speak unless spoken to." He added glaring at her. "You are speaking to me." Katara smirked. "Go to your room I've had enough of you today." "Yes oh great Crowned Prince." Katara mussed smiling to herself when she heard Zuko growl. The door was slammed behind her and she tested the door and yep locked.

"Your Princess Azula, clever and beautiful, disguised herself as the enemy and entered the Earth Kingdom's Capital. In Ba Sing Se, she found her brother Zuko, and together they faced the Avatar ... And the Avatar fell! And the Earth Kingdom fell!" The older twins Li and Lo spoke to the people at the Fire Nation Capital. "Azula's agents quickly overtook the entire city. They went to Ba Sing Se's great walls. And brought them down! The armies of the Fire Nation surged through the walls and swarmed over Ba Sing Se, securing our victory." Azula stepped up and stood between them.
"Now the heroes have returned home! Your princess, Azula." They shouted the crowd before them clapping and cheering. "And after three long years, your prince has returned ...Zuko!" Zuko approached with a worried expression. But to his surprise the crowd cheers much louder than they did for Azula. Katara stood off to the side her head hung hoping Aang really was ok.
A couple days later as Katara folds Zuko's freshly washed clothes on the floor. "Get me some tea." Zuko ordered not even bothering to look at her while he pointed to the tea pot and cups on a side table. Katara huffed but got up anyway. "A please would be nice." "I don't have to say please I am a Prince. Peasant." He hissed. Katara slammed the cup down on the table tea spilling out the sides. "Stop calling me that!" Zuko got up and they stood face to face. "I can call you whatever I want you belong to me." "I belong to no one!" He grabbed her wrist showing his insignia on the cuff. "This says different." "I hate you! I hate it here!" She squirmed against his hold. "I didn't ask for you!" As they stood staring at each other he noticed how it seemed to irritate her more that she had to look up to me this eyes. He got more angry the longer he stared at those stupid blue eyes. "Ugh! Finish folding the clothes I need a break from you!" The prince shouted as he stormed out of the room. Katara checked and he too locked that door.