Chapter 20: Ferry

"Zuko?" A small voice said from behind him as he looked out into the ocean.
It had been maybe a half an hour since he announced his feelings for her. Or shouted his feelings as her. He knew that he couldn't be mad at her for thinking about accepting the deal with Raisi but the thought of anyone else touching her made him infuriated.
Kataras slim arms wrapped around his middle and she placed her head on his back. "Please don't be mad at me. I just don't want to be without you...I...." She whispered. He sighed, "You do t have to say it just because I did Katara." "It's not that it's...just it's hard to explain?" "What dont believe in love?" Zuko snorted he tried not to sound bitter but it would be ironic the only person he'd said he loved doesn't believe in it. That would be my luck. He thought. "It's not that I don't believe in love, I'm a very strong believer in it actually. I'm just terrified it doesn't believe in me." Katara whispered. Zuko sighed again out of relief and him letting go of the last bit of anger he had towards her. She was scared to love him.
Zuko turned around and faced her hugging her close placing a kiss to her forehead. "You still love me?" Katara said knowing the answer but wanting to hear him say it again. "I still love you. Do you feel anything for me?" He asked hating the fact he felt like a child. "I do. Like you said a long time ago I belong to you. My heart, my soul, everything it's yours." Zuko smiled remembering how he loved her even back then and he didn't even know it. It seems so long ago now. Zuko gripped her chin and pulled it up so their eyes met. "I belong to you too." "Do you swear?" She smiled remembering that evening on the beach. "I swear I am yours, you are mine. Till the end of time." Zuko cupped her face, knotting one hand into her unruly hair as he pulled her in for a passionate kiss.
A few moments of them just holding each other passed before Katara yawned. "Go get some sleep." Katara didn't even argue as she trudged back to the bed.
Katara tried to sleep, she was utterly exhausted but the guilty feeling of wishing she'd said those few little words nagged at her. She'd never said it to anyone before not in the type of way he had meant it anyway. Did she mean it the same way? Maybe. It's very possible. He's only almost died because of her twice. That's gotta count for something. To tired to continue to think about it she closed her eyes and let sleep take her.

Once docking the boat in Chameleon Bay they quickly took to the Ferry to get into Ba Sing Se. Katara couldn't help but feel nervous the whole time. Not only because Zuko and her had now crossed into her relationship territory but they were still on the run and trying to remain unseen and unnoticed. Zuko on the other hand seemed calm and happier than she had seen in a long time.
Zuko noticed her chew on her bottom lip, something he noticed she did when she was overthinking. He slipped his hand into hers and intertwined their fingers rubbing small circles on the back of her hand with his thumb. Katara then watched as he pulled her hand up to his mouth and kiss it, causing her to blush. "I didn't think you'd be one to enjoy PDA." She smirked. "If you think that's PDA I'll show you some." Zuko said challenging her. She missed his lips on hers so much and the feel of his skin against hers she almost was gonna call his bluff  but then the horn went off signaling it was time to load onto the Ferry.

Once on it they settled into their spot and Zuko wrapped an arm around her. They spend the rest of the afternoon talking or just watching the others on the boat. And even as relaxed as Zuko was he still kept his guard up. When dinner came around Katara almost gagged at whatever was in her bowl. "Yea it wasn't very good when I was on this last time ether." "You've been on this before." "Yea except me and another guy swiped some food from the captain. So eventually we ate better." Katara rolled her eyes. "Hey Jets idea." Zuko laughed causing Katara to freeze. "Jet? Like Jet with his freedom fighters." Zuko looked at her strangely. "You know him?" Katara frowned. "Knew." Zuko caught on to the hint she put out. "How did you know him?" "Zuko asked changing the subject to a less gruesome one. Katara felt head and a blush come up her neck. "Well we..uhh..we were kind of..involved.." She muttered twiddling her fingers. It was Zukos turn to freeze the frowned. "How involved?" "Not like how you and me involved!" She tried to reassure him. He just raised a brow. "We kissed..and might have made out a couple times." Katara didn't know why he was mad or why she felt ashamed.
Zuko stood and walked away suddenly needing space.It's not like Jet could come between them now and it's not like he hasn't made out with Mai before. Or possibly went farther than that. Actually she was sure he's been farther that just making out because he seemed very experienced.
Zuko walked around the ship taking a breath. He knew it was silly to be mad about something that happened years ago but he's never been one to control his jealousy very well. And it's just few make outs it's not like he hasn't been farther than that with Mai and a few others.
After a minute of calming himself down he returned to Katara who smiled at him as if nothing happened. Which he was glad for. When it was late enough they decided to sleep and Zuko welcomes it not having a decent nights sleep in a few days. Katara found it easier to fall asleep against his warm chest. She didn't know how she ever managed to sleep without him. But they both knew what was after them so even when they slept they listened for their surroundings not knowing who to trust and who was out for them.