Chapter 12: Ember Island

Aang and Zuko practice firebending using synchronized fire blasts. They create sweeping arcs of fire that dissipate into the ground as they each raise an arm and leg, sending forth streams of fire, before leaning forward and sending forth another stream of fire.
Aang and Zuko as they stand upright, assuming a final fighting stance before closing their eyes, relaxing their postures, and taking a deep breath. Toph and Katara watch behind them sitting on steps nearby. The older girls tried not to stare at the shirtless fire bender but as he flexed and stretched his muscles she couldn't help herself. Zuko and Aang bow to one another, and the latter stretches his arms and walks away.
"Doesn't it seem kind of weird that we're hiding from the Fire Lord in his own house?" Katara asks. "I told you," Zuko said sitting on a dry fountain and wiping his head with a cloth. "my father hasn't come here since our family was actually happy. And that was a long time ago. It's the last place anyone would think to look for us." Sokka holding a rolled-up piece of paper thankfully saving the awkward moment. "You guys are not gonna believe this! There's a play about us." "We were just in town and we found this poster!" Suki says excitedly as Sokka shows the poster for the play to the team. "What? How is that possible?" Katara asks. "Listen to this ..." Sokka turns the poster toward him. "The Boy in the Iceberg is a new production from acclaimed playwright Pu-on Tim, who scoured the globe gathering information on the Avatar, from the icy South Pole to the heart of Ba Sing Se. His sources include singing nomads, pirates, prisoners of war, and a surprisingly knowledgeable merchant of cabbage. Brought to you by the critically acclaimed Ember Island Players." "Ugh! My mother used to take us to see them. They butchered Love Amongst the Dragons every year!" Zuko griped. "Sokka, do you really think it's a good idea to attend a play about ourselves?" Katara asked her brother. "Come on, a day at the theater? This is the kind of wacky time-wasting nonsense I've been missing!"
By the time night falls Suki and Sokka convince the Gaang to go to the play.
Zuko sits down next to Katara just as Aang tries to sit next to her. Aang stands back up. "Hey, uh ... I wanted to sit there." "Just sit next to me. What's the big deal?" Katara doesn't hear what Aang says. Her face heating up at the fact Zuko wanted to sit next to her. She tried to think of anything else other than how close they were and was thankful Toph decided to say something. "Why are we sitting in the nosebleed section? My feet can't see a thing from up here!" "Don't worry, I'll tell your feet what's happening." She smiles back to the younger girl.
The play starts and both Katara, Sokka and Aang aren't happy with how they are portrayed. Toph on the other hand is loving the play. When Zuko' actor comes on he joins the other three not being happy with his character.
"They make me look totally stiff and humorless." "Actually, I think that actor's pretty spot on." Katara said smiling at him. "How could you say that?" He asked before turning to look at her, after seeing her smile he couldn't help but smile back at her.
Team Avatar at on a flight of stairs outside during intermission. No one really happy about this play other than Toph.
"So far, this intermission is the best part of the play." Sokka walks down the stairs holding a bag of flaming fire flakes and sits next to Suki. "Apparently, the playwright thinks I'm an idiot who tells bad jokes about meat all the time!" "Yeah, you tell bad jokes about plenty of other topics." Suki mocked.  "I know!" "At least the Sokka actor kind of looks like you. That woman playing the Avatar doesn't resemble me at all!" "I don't know, you are more in touch with your feminine side than most guys." Toph laughed. Aang growled. "Relax, Aang. They're not accurate portrayals. It's not like I'm a preachy crybaby who can't resist giving overemotional speeches about hope all the time." Katara says before she realizes everyone is looking at her. "What?" "Yeah, that's not you at all." Aang huffs. "Listen friends, it's obvious that the playwright did his research. I know it must hurt, but what you're seeing up there on that stage is the truth."
They returned back to their seats as the play started up again and it's a scene with Actress Katara and Actor Zuko in the catacombs.
"I have to admit Prince Zuko, I really find you attractive!" The actress of Katara said. "You don't have to make fun of me." "But I mean it!" The actress says sitting down next to Actor Zuko. "I've had eyes for you since the day you first captured me!" Zuko and Katara look at each other blushing not noticing as Aang narrows his eyebrows at them.
"Wait, I thought you were the Avatar's girl!" Actor Zuko asks. "The Avatar? Why, he's like a little brother to me! I certainly don't think of him in a romantic way." The actress laughed. "Besides, how could he ever find out about ... this?" Actress Katara and Actor Zuko embrace and hold hands while Actress Katara pops up one leg. Zuko and Katara blush harder before their attention turns to Aang who gets up.
"Oh, you're getting up? Can you get me some fire flakes? Ooh, and fire gummies!" Sokka asks  Aang as he puts his arm back around Suki.
During the second intermission Katara realizes Aang is still gone.
"Does anyone know where Aang is?" "He left to get me fire gummies, like, ten minutes ago. And I'm still waiting!" "I'm gonna check outside. "Aang stands alone on a balcony as Katara enters and walks up to him. "Are you all right?" She wondered. "No, I'm not! I hate this play!" He growled yanking his hat off and throwing it on the ground. "I know it's upsetting, but it sounds like you're overreacting." "Overreacting? If I hadn't blocked my chakra, I'd probably be in the Avatar State right now!" Katara sat silent for a minute waiting to see what else he had to say. "Katara, did you really mean what you said in there?" He asked quietly. "In where? What are you talking about?" "On stage, when you said I was just like a ... brother to you, and you didn't have feelings for me." "I didn't say that. An actor said that." "But it's true, isn't it? We kissed at the Invasion when I found you and I thought we were gonna be together. But we're not. Something changed." Katara felt embarrassed and a little guilty knowing that that something was an older Fire Nation prince. "Aang, I don't know." "Why don't you know?" "Because, we're in the middle of a war, and, we have other things to worry about. This isn't the right time." Katara said not wanting to announce her new found crush. "Well, when is the right time?" "Aang, I'm sorry, but right now I'm just a little confused." She confesses. Which is the truth she doesn't know if she feels the same or if her new feelings for Zuko are more than what they seem. Before she knew it Aang tries to kiss Katara. "I just said I was confused! I'm going inside." She says irritated.
Katara ignores him for the rest of the night.

When they get back to the beach house and she's taking her hair down in her room she looks out her window notices a figure leave out the front door and head towards the shore. Her nosiness taking the better of her she decides to go figure out who it is.
"Zuko?" She asks the figure sitting on the beach, his feet barely in the tide. Zuko turns to her surprised. "What are you doing out here?" "I could ask you the same thing." The waterbender says sitting next to him. "Aang is mad at us." "I noticed that too. But that's not why you're out here." Zuko looks at her surprised at how well she knows him. "I feel guilty is all." "For how the play said you treated your Uncle." Maybe she didn't know him that well. "Mmmm" he said not agreeing nor denying.
The truth was he knew why the Avatar was mad. Zuko intentionally sat next to Katara knowing Aang wanted to and how in the play acted like what happened in the catacombs was something more than what actually happened. And the thing that he felt guilt about was Zuko didn't take the seat just so the Avatar couldn't he took it because he wanted to be the one sitting next to Katara. And that he liked the way the catacombs was portrayed and kinda wished it happened. He felt guilty because he knew Aang feelings towards her but didn't want her to be "his girl." As the play put it.
"Aang kissed me tonight." Katara blurted. Zuko looked at her shocked and then looked away irritated.
She didn't know why she decided to say that or why it made her feel ashamed that it happened. They weren't together, he didn't share the same feelings. She didn't even know what feeling she felt for the fire bender.
"Good for you." Zuko snapped. "He asked how I felt about him. I said I was confused." Zuko looked at her waiting for more. "He kissed me I didn't enjoy it and then I got mad and left him on the balcony." "Confused why?" Zuko asked his eyes begging for her to say what he was hoping for while she blushed and looked down. "Things have changed. I don't feel the same at I did before." She looked to him and he held her gaze. Katara tried her best with her stare to get him to understand what she was meaning. Zuko almost said how he felt about her before he realized he didn't truly know himself. "Well its late I think I'll just head back." Zuko said panicking and quickly returning to the house leaving Katara there alone.
She went to sleeping feeling like an idiot for almost putting her feelings out there. Zuko, one room over, also felt like an idiot but for not being brave enough to say how he felt and now he might not get another chance.