Chapter 24: Fights

The rest of the day Zuko spent with Toph, Aang, and Sokka helping them make armor and detailed plans. He explained the building and the island it was on.
Well past dinner time and late into the evening once they felt like it wasn't as risky as it sounded they decided to call it a night.
It was Zuko's surprise when he arrived to his room Katara wasn't in there to share a bed like they had become accustomed too.
She was found outside in the gardens, Zuko had come to realize this was her favorite place.
"There you are." He said approaching her. She said nothing even as he wrapped his arms around her just stared up at the moon. "Everything alright?" Silence. "Katara I can't fix it if you don't tell me what's wrong." Katara turned red. "That's exactly what's wrong Zuko your need to fix everything!" The Fire Lord nodded understanding. "You're talking about the conversation with Aang." Katara cursed herself for the tears that sprang up in her eyes. She'd seen him almost die twice now and the thought of it again and it actually happening this time broke her heart. "You said you never wanted to leave me you said you loved me and now you're telling Aang to basically use you as bait. Did you even mean that you loved me?" She yelled. "Katara of course I meant it I love you with all I am. " he said pulling her into a hug. "But I have a duty to the my Nation and the world to stop my father." "Then let me come with you!" She pleaded looking up at him. "No. I meant that part too. I'm not putting you in harms way for this reckless of a plan you know that." Zuko folded his arms. "I care about you Zuko I don't want you to die I don't-!" "No Katara!" Katara's face turned red and she pushed him away and went to her own room, not being able to control the tears that spilled down her cheeks. Zuko ran his fingers through his hair as he watched her walk away he knew he should go after her but he meant what he said Zuko wasn't going to let her get hurt.

He laid in his chambers tossing and turning before an idea hit him. Zuko awoke the guys and Toph early that morning and told them that they needed to leave now. Zuko knew Katara would be even more furious but this plan was the best chance they had.

When Katara awoke she went to the dinning hall much prepared to give Zuko the silent treatment until he caved and let her come. To her surprise only General Iroh was in there. "Where is everyone?" She asked knowing at least Sokka would be in here stuffing his face. "They left." "They left!?" Katara shrieked before running to Zukos room to make sure.

He couldn't have left they said they wouldn't leave until tomorrow. Zuko wouldn't have left knowing I was mad at him. Oh spirits if he dies he'll never know I love him too!  He'd die thinking I hated him with how we left things. Don't be gone, don't be gone.
She got to his room and pushed his door open and empty. Then checked the others rooms. Katara didn't know if she was more mad, sad, or disappointed. He really left.

On Appa they flew through the sky Zuko looked over to the pair sleeping. Toph has her arms wrapped around one of Sokka's. He noticed she did this whenever she was some place she couldn't see or was uncomfortable. Tophs head rested on his shoulder, his head on top of hers. Zuko watched them and almost wished he would have brought Katara..almost. But he quickly pushed away the thought, he was doing this for the best. But if that was true why did he have such a bad feeling.
As if the monk read Zuko's mind he spoke up from the head of the bison. "I have a bad feeling." Zuko crawled to the Avatar and leaned on the part of the saddle closest to him. "Well it's a reckless risky plan." "I know. But I have a feeling something won't go right. Maybe we should have brought Katara. If something goes wrong she can-" "She can't come Aang. You said so too. She's the one they want most. If they got her they know we'd all cave no matter what." There was a silence between them before the younger one spoke again. "She loves you too you know." Zuko looked at him with shocked. Aang wore a unreadable face. "I heard you two in the garden last night. She's angry because she loves you and doesn't want you hurt, even if she won't say back it she does." "Aang I-" "Zuko it's ok. I let her go. I loved her but I love my people, my culture more. We didn't want the same things. I've moved on and I'm happy. I've been talking to one of the Air Acolytes, she's nice and wants the same things. But Katara was my first love I'll always care about her." Aang smiled at him Zuko smiled back.
"What about them?" Zuko asked wanting to know more. Aang laughed. "Toph has always liked Sokka. Sokka just recently realized he liked Toph. They don't love each other yet. They're not even together, they just keep each others company. Sokka still has feelings, attachments to Suki. He's just not ready probably won't be for a while. They are helping with the plans for Republic City so they spend a lot of time together. " "They look good together though." "Yea better him than anyone else though. No one else can handle her." They both laughed.
As time passed they talked about several things. Zuko really counted Aang as his best friend. All of a sudden Aangs face went blank. "This is it we're here." Zuko crawled to the back to wake up the other two.

Over a whole day had now passed and Katara continued to look at the setting sky leaning on the balcony wishing that they would appear and as if the spirits heard her the bison came into view coming towards the palace and a smile spread across her face. They did it, they were back.
"Katara!" She heard a voice ring out as she rushed through the palace meet them. But it wasn't a call of joy, panic was laced into his voice. Katara ran faster than she ever had before trying to figure out which of the four had been hurt. And once she saw them coming into view she stopped. Halting on the steps, even when she wanted to continue. The lifeless body was set on the floor. "Katara!" Toph voice cried. Her feet stumbled down the last few stairs meeting the group, water already forming around her hands. Tears streamed down her face as she tried her best to heal the cold man under her glowing hands. "Please no..no..Zuko please.."