Chapter 4: Forgivness

Zuko spends the rest of the evening in his room staring out the window. Katara lazily draws in the corner until a knock on the door makes her get up.
"Mai." Katara says letting Zuko know who's at the door. "Let me in." Mai's monotone voice said. But Katara stood her ground not letting her in until the fire bender nodded. "I didn't know she was your guard too." Mai said walking past her. Katara returned to her chair in the corner and continued to doodle pretending she wasn't listening to them.
Mai came behind Zuko and could tell by his face what he was upset about.
"Zuko, it's just a dumb meeting. Who cares?" Kataras ears perked up. "I don't." Zuko answered." "Well, good. You shouldn't. I mean, why would you even want to go? Just think about how things went the last meeting you went to." What happened the last time? Katara wondered. "I know." Zuko sighed. "You know what will make you feel better?" "Ordering some servants around." Katara saw Mai glance in her direction." "I might be hungry for a whole tray of fruit tarts. And maybe a little palanquin ride around town. Double time."
Katara watched waiting to see what Zukos response was as she turned Zuko's face to look at her, but to both of the girls surprise he quickly looks away, making Mai let go of him. With a frown at Zuko and a glare in Kataras direction Mai left the room not caring much for the rejection.
An hour had passed and Katara couldn't get the question off her mind till finally she felt like she would explode. "Why?" The water bender said a little more forceful and louder than intended causing the prince to jump. "Why what?" "Why did you turn Mai down to have me do those things for you? I thought you were mad at me?" Zuko sighed. "Not everything is about you water bender."
While Katara was in the kitchen getting the ingredients for tea Zuko requested she overheard two other servant girls talking one she recognized as the girl who was brushing Azulas hair in the spa. "Did you hear Prince Zuko wasn't invited to the upcoming war meeting?" There was a gasp. "No! What happened I though the Fire Lord welcomed him back with open arms since he killed the Avatar." "No no I heard him say it myself." "Well if I was him I wouldn't want to go." "I know have you seen the scar." "From the Fire Lord? Oh I know! I couldn't believe he would do that to his own son." "Oh it's Ozai I believe it." Katara couldn't take anymore before she hurried back to the room. The new found information pulling at her heart strings.
When Katara returned there was a tension in the air and couple minutes of silence passed Katara spoke."I'm sorry I said you were just like your father.." Katara whispered his head shot up. "What?" "I hear what he did," she gestured to his scar, "while I was in the kitchen. The lady's gossip." Zuko stared at her in surprise. "If I would have known I wouldn't have ever said it." She continued to ramble. "I-I'm uh sorry I said I should have let Azula kill you." A blush rose across his cheeks. "My Uncle wouldn't have approved me saying that. I shouldn't have." "Is he ok? He helped me back in the catacombs." Zuko hung his head. Katara didn't think he was going to answer because of how long he was quiet so she continued on with the tea. "I've been visiting him." Katara looked up into his golden eyes. "Thats where I've been going at night. I've been going to see him in prison. My father labeled him a traitor. When really I was the one who betrayed my Uncle." Katara felt her heart strings pull some more. "And you I guess." Katara didn't know what to say. She had never known the fire bender to act this way.
They sat in silence again Zuko lying down on the arm of the couch, while Katara finished making tea. Just as she is about to give him a cup, someone calls for him. Katara opens the door as a servant walks in.
"Prince Zuko," He bows before the prince. ",everyone's waiting for you."
Zuko walks over to the servant to see what he's talking about. "What?" "The high admirals, the high generals, the war ministers, and the princess have all arrived. You're the only person missing." "So, my dad wants me at the meeting?" "The Fire Lord said he would not start until you arrived, sir." Zuko smiles, and they both follow the servant to the meeting. But Katara is not allowed in.
Soon after Mia appears. She too waits for Zuko but pretends she doesn't notice the water bender.
"So, how did it go?" Mai asked Zuko after he exits the room. They walk together Katara a few steps behind but still close enough to hear. "When I got to the meeting, everyone welcomed me. My father had saved me a seat. He wanted me next to him. I was literally at his right hand." "Zuko, that's wonderful! You must be happy.
The three stop at a picture of Ozai. Zuko gazes at it.
"During the meeting, I was the perfect prince. The son my father wanted." Zuko looked down, eyes closed. "But I wasn't me."
A week later Zuko has been oddly nice to her and now that Katara knows more about him she understands why he's the way he is. He shares more with her than he thinks he's ever shared with anyone. And she listened because that's what he needs. Mai doesn't come around much.