Dazed and confused

A Tuesday in the middle of October. Jughead was woken at 3am by a pounding on the front door. He sits straight up trying to regain some of his senses before he gets up to answer it. Who could be knocking on the door at this hour? He notices Betty is still asleep, at least she didn't wake up. Jughead gets out of bed, pulls on his pajama bottoms and heads out to answer it.

"This better be good." he said out loud, He opened the door to see Toni standing there holding up a crying Cheryl. He grabs for Cheryl and brings her in. "What's wrong?" he asked them. Cheryl was incoherent. He sits Cheryl down and goes and gets her a glass of water.

"They found Jason." Toni sighed. "He was in the Sweetwater river. He was shot." she adds.

"He's dead. Jason is dead." Cheryl said, letting out a horrific scream.

The door to the bedroom opened up. The commotion woke Betty up and she walked out half asleep. 

"Holy shit." Jughead  said as he pulled Cheryl into a hug, she cried into his chest.

"What's going on?" Betty asked as she rubbed her eyes.

"I need you to get Cheryl one of your pills please." Jughead asked her. Betty nods and walks back into the bedroom.

Toni sits in the chair, unsure what to do. Her heart is breaking.

Jughead grabs his phone and sends out a text. It's late. He doesn't know if he will get a response from anyone, but it doesn't hurt to try or even let them know what is going on.

Jughead: I know it's late, but they found Jason, he's dead. He was shot and thrown into the Sweetwater River.

Jughead puts his phone away, not before he hears it go off. He's surprised.

Pea: are you serious??

Jughead: Yeah...

Archie: Fuck!! How's Cheryl?

Jughead: not good. She's currently sobbing on my chest, There is snot involved. It's bad, real bad.

Fangs: I'll call Kevin and see if he can get anything from the Sheriff.

Jughead: Thanks fangs.

Archie: I'm on my way.

Pea: me too.

Jughead smiled. No matter what time of day it was, they were always there for each other. He puts his phone away as Betty walks back in and hands Cheryl a pill.

"Thanks," Cheryl said as she swallowed the pill and took a drink of water.

Betty nods and sits down next to Jughead. "So, what happened." she asked.

"They found Jason's body." he said to her.

"Oh no!" she said, frowning. Her breathing became sporadic.

"Breathe, Betts." he told her.

Betty gets up and moves next to Cheryl and then reaches out for her. Both girls embrace each other. Silently they console one another.

Jughead watches as Toni talks on the phone. He's not sure who she is talking to but it sounds important, after a while he turns back to look at girls and see that they are both asleep in each other's arms. He stands up and picks up Cheryl which makes Betty wake up. She watches as Jughead walks into the bedroom. Betty gets up and follows him. A few minutes later he comes out and sits back down and looks at Toni who is still on the phone. She looks utterly exhausted.

The door opens and Archie, Pea and Fangs walk in.

"I'm shocked you all were up when I texted." Jughead said.