One

"Mummy please now, okay just give me one of your old phones." Yes, you guessed right. I was sitting in the kitchen with my mom, begging her to buy a new phone for me. It wasn't working and I couldn't just tell her someone broke in and spoilt my phone. She'll obviously be very scared and I didn't want to scare her.

"You still haven't told me what happened to your old phone, you're here whining and crying." She hissed, turning to face me.

"I told you now, it fell down and the screen just scattered. It has reached the point of no return." I pouted at her while batting my eyelashes at the same time.

"Fine. I have one phone upstairs, I bought it for your brother but since he's not yet back, I'll give it to you. I don't want excuses about this one oh, if it spoils, you're on your own." She said, leaving the kitchen to go to her room.

I walked behind her like the good girl I was, watching as my mom's backside shook as she climbed the stairs. I chuckled internally, I didn't want her to change her mind about giving me the phone.

My mom had a great shape at her age, she had a very flat tommy for someone that had 3 children. She was in her early 40s and she always dressed up like she was in her 20s. Her skinny jeans clinged to her thighs like it was a second skin. Her peplon top made her look even skinnier than she was.

We got to her room and she walked to her closet, leaving me to admire the view. My mom had the neatest room in the house, everything was white and I was usually scared of touching things because of how neat everywhere was. Her queen sized bed sat at the center of the room, on top of it was a white sheet and duvet. Her curtains were plain white, even the chairs were also white.

"Here, take. I'm not getting you a new one till next year, hope I'm making myself clear!" She said, giving me the phone that was still in the pack.

"Yes ma. Thank you so much mummy. I love you!!" I pecked her on her cheek and hurried out of the room to mine.

I locked my door and brought out the phone from the pack, it was a brand new iPhone 8 plus. I brought out the accessories and quickly connected the phone with the charger.

I left it to charge and then went back to the kitchen to help my mom make dinner. My sister was yet to come back from school, she was in her 5th grade of elementary school.

After making dinner, I walked back to my room and tried to set my phone up. My sister badged into my room almost as soon as I was done.

"Zara! I missed you." I scowled at her and removed myself from her tight hug. She smelled like a baby, she had this unique scent that I couldn't describe.

"Can't you knock? Didn't you see me this morning? Don't be a pest please." She held her chest, feigning hurt.

"You're so mean." Otito, my younger sister said.

"I know. You've overstayed your welcome dear, please take your leave." She eyed me and sat down on my bed.

"That's your business. So mummy gave you the phone she kept for Luka, how does it feel to be her favorite?" Otito said, playing with the end of her cornrows. Her pink lips were in a little pout. She was the only light skinned child, she took my mom's color and her hair was also longer than mine. We were almost the same height and she was just 11 years old.

"Mummy doesn't have a favorite." I rolled my eyes.

"Stop pretending jare. We all know she does, you never get into trouble. It's either I get blamed or Luka does, I want your life." She sighed, dropping flat on my bed. Luke was my elder brother, he was already in the university. He was studying Law at one of the biggest private universities in Nigeria.