chapter three

iii

iii.            wake up, marlo.

              The bar reeked of cigarettes and whiskey, as well with hints of charred meat. She was sat on a stool, munching on a steak sandwich. It was lunch and she was starving. Accompanying her was a short haired young woman with an intimidating frown on her lips. A cigarette was resting between her fingers as she sipped her refreshing iced tea. Every time the white-haired man walked by, she'd glare at him judgmental eyes.

             Seth tried to apologize — tried. Marlo didn't take it. His apologies sucked, and she was too tired to hear them. But she did take the sandwich he offered because she was hungry. "I'm surprised you're not biting his head off, right now." Danielle spoke, puffing out smoke. The brunette pressed her lips together, shrugging her shoulders. "I just got other shit to worry about. Not some homophobic, racist prick." She rolled her eyes, biting into the sandwich once more. Now, she had more material to overthink: Ellie's perception of last night. "Should we unpack that?" Danielle suggested, playfully. She gritted her teeth, inhaling deeply. "Definitely not," Marlo spoke blandly. She pushed a loose piece of her dark hair behind her ear, her lip falling between her teeth. Forget about it. Well, she sure as hell couldn't. She didn't know which to feel bad for the most, the action of kissing or the action of leaving. One was definitely more shittier than the other.

        Her negative thoughts plagued the front of her mind, while Danielle ranted on about Seth. What kind of friend leaves the other when something traumatic happens? Bringing her out of her hectic thoughts, a hand taps her shoulder. It was rushy, and it stirred irritation through Marlo. She turned around, seeing a concerned looking asian man. His eyebrows knitted together, while his eyes worryingly observing her. "Oh, hey, Jes." Danielle perked up, inhaling her smoke. He absentmindedly nodded greeting towards the mousy-haired young woman. "Um, Marlo, can we have a word?" Jesse asked, intently examining her face. The brunette took the hint, excusing herself from the bar. She told Danielle she'd see her later, pulling on her jacket and following the raven-haired man out the door. He waited for her to catch up, standing in the snow. "What's up?" Marlo sighed, taking her hair out from under her jacket.

The snow was tumbling in heaps, people were finding their way into building until it lightened up. Marlo was wondering why he brought her outside of the warmth and coziness of the Tipsy Bison. He reached into his pocket, handing her a beanie. "You're gonna need this." She took it with confusion, slowly sliding it onto her head. "I wouldn't need it if you didn't drag me out here." She retorted, stuffing her chilling hands into her pockets. Jesse sighed, looking through the smokiness of the forming blizzard. "There's been no sightings of Dina and Ellie since they left. The blizzard pushed everyone else back, except for them." He informed, causing a stir up inside of the brunette. Her dark eyes instantly became chaotic at the thought of something happening the them. It was bad enough that Joel and Tommy were missing. "You know the terrain better than me." His dark eyes were earnest and needy. Marlo had no intention on leaving Ellie out there, so even if he didn't need her, she was coming. "You're telling me that they're still out there? What about Tommy and Joel?" He shrugged, insinuating that same. Nowhere to be found.