chapter ten

ox

ox.                   trespassers.

"Holy shit."

It reeked of death, and there was blood from infected smeared along the slanted concrete. Marlo held a slender hand to her nose, blocking the smell. The deathly aroma was mostly because of the horse pulled apart near the barbed fence a few meters from them. "These were all shot." Ellie observed, ambling around the corpses. Marlo hummed, scanning her eyes over the scene. She flipped her head towards the evident sounds of gagging. Dina had a delicate hand placed on her chest, her face going pale. "Are you okay?" The brunette mouthed, trying not to alert the girl ahead of them. Her obsidian ponytail waved as she shook her head, curling her lips into a tight line. Marlo deepened her eyebrows in thought, until it hit her — was Dina pregnant?

"Hey, look." Ellie alerted, causing the brunette to clear her throat, skipping over to where she was crouched. "It's Tommy's." Marlo observed the deceased horse, fanning away the flys buzzing around it's open stomach. A J was burned into the thigh of the horse, clarifying that it was in fact Tommy's. "Infected did a number on this one..." The auburn-haired survivor stated, peeling open the side bag. Which happened to be splattered with the blood of his horse. Nothing was inside. Pulling the two girl's out of their curiosity, stomach churning retching sounded. Dina was bent over a rock, vomiting. Marlo shifted on her feet, looking at the unwell girl with pity written all over her face. "Yeah, sorry. It's just... the smell." She wiped the corners of her mouth with her wrist, fanning the smell. It seemed to have gone over Ellie's head. She was so fully focused on finding the murderer of Joel Miller, that she couldn't notice the subtle signs from Dina. Hell, neither could Marlo until just then.

The first instance she caught was when they were leaving that school. She placed a hand on her stomach for comfort. For comfort. Second instance was her barfing up the nuts she ate earlier — that was all the proof Marlo needed. Now... why the fuck was a pregnant Dina on a revenge mission? "All right... he must've taken off on foot." Ellie sighed, swiveling her head around in thought. Marlo stepped forward with crossed arms. "Are you good to keep going?" She asks simply, with an undertone that Ellie couldn't quite decipher. The brunette made an unreadable expression towards Dina, bawling her fists at her sides. The dark-haired, possibly pregnant, girl fanned her hand towards the brunette. "Yeah, I'm fine. Please."

Evading anymore questions, she hauled over the rock she was bent over, pushing on. Marlo gave Ellie a short smile and a shrug, before swiftly following after Dina. With raised eyebrows, Marlo thought to herself. Ellie was gonna be pissed once she found out— maybe a little bit more than that. She cares about Dina enough to be upset with her for going on a mission like this. They wandered out, hiking on stone and patches of grass.