chapter four

oiv

oiv.           butterfly effect.

              Everything was so damn sore. Ouch.

Her mouth was dry as she slowly sat up, trying to peel herself from the thin infirmary covers. Morning beams shot through the beige transparent curtains, bouncing off the sweat of her forehead. She couldn't even make a facial expression without flinching in pain. A woman rushed to her aid, holding a silver platter with two pills and a small paper cup of water. Her blonde curls were pinned back, a white lab coat adorning her small shoulders, and a cute friendly smile painted on her lips. She was short, but had tremendous strength. The woman pushed her back onto the bed causing Marlo to sigh in pain. "Sorry- just take it easy. You were patched up only a few hours ago, Marlo." She sat the pan on the twin-sized bed beside her legs. Her hazel eyes intently glared at the young girl. The brunette deepened her eyebrows tiredly, wondering why she deserved such a harsh look so early in the morning. "After you take the aspirin, please wait here for at least fifteen minutes — I'm sure you have some people to see, but all I need is fifteen."

Marlo assumed she was alluding to Ellie Williams. Just as she indirectly mentioned her, she immediately wanted to hop off of that bed — however, her body wouldn't let her even if she did. "Okay... I will." She rasped, taking the aspirin and throwing down her throat. She followed it with the water in the paper cup, then crushing it with her bruised fingers. The girl tossed the paper cup into the tin trash can a few meters from her, just as the bell at the door rang. Her eyes looked hopefully at the opening, only to see her sister waddling inside. She peeled off her jacket quickly, hanging it on the hook near the door. Marlo kicked her feet over the bed, inhaling deeply. Mind over matter, right? "How're you feelin'?" Domi waddled over to the bed beside hers, leaning on the mattress. Her lighter brown eyes observed the cuts and bruises on her face. Her lip was busted, purple and blue hues vibrantly contrasting against the pale skin of her cheekbone. "As good as I can." Marlo adjusted her comfortably on the plush mattress.

When she first arrived last night, her sister never left her side. While Dr March cleaned and tended to her lacerations and bruisings, Dominique sat and watched with tears in her eyes. That's what she was afraid of — exactly what happened. "You scared me shitless, Marlo." She spoke after a moment of silence. Her hair was in some sort of tangled bun on top of her head, blue circles under her eyes. A permanent frown was on her moisturized lips as she observed her little sister. Her hand never left her growing stomach, rubbing circles over the bump. "I'm sure." She shortly answered, trying to stand up to her feet.

"Take it easy, Austen!" Sybil called from a closed off room.

She kept her weight on the bed, so she could gather herself. Marlo needed to see her. Sure what she experienced was traumatizing, but it's not like she hasn't lived through that before. She's never seen someone be killed right in front of her — not like that anyway, but she was okay. Ellie could'n have been. Joel was like her parental figure. She couldn't have came out of that unscathed. "What happened with Joel-" Before Domi could finish, she was cut off by a harsh tone. Her sister always found a way to simplify things, to ease her inner turmoil. She knew what it was like out there — how shitty it was. But her pregnancy and long-term relationship seemed to blind her of that. "Was murder. What happened with Joel, was murder." She clarified, assertively. By now, she was pacing through the infirmary. Trying to get her gait back to normal — whatever normal was. Her hand hadn't left her side as it continued to sorely ache. "You shouldn't have been involved." She shook her head, following her sisters path with her eyes.