chapter five

oov

oov. take on me.

           They've been in Seattle for a few days now. It was warmer, muggier, but all around better than the cold. Marlo had gotten better, and she could finally ride her own horse again. For the first few days, she was latched onto Ellie's back like a koala. Now, she could finally ride Boomer, relieving the girl of the extra weight. To take up time, they told stories and made each other laugh. It was the only form of entertainment they had, beside the occasional straggler or runner. They weren't really entertainment, per se, more like engagement.

They'd found a map and started crossing things off. It was making it much easier to navigate the overgrown streets of Seattle. Plus, that had to get to this courthouse to surpass another WLF gate — they needed gasoline. They had left there horses on the ground, while they explored. Marlo had picked up some ammo, read some letters — none of which that helped much. Every building was covered in greenery, big leaves that ran up the cement walls, grass growing in places she didn't know grass could grow. While Ellie crossed off another location, the three of them walked into a run down store. "This must be the music shop." Dina informed, stepping over large threshold of the window. Her dark eyes were large as she peered around the unorganized store. It was almost picked clean. Some vinyls were still on the shelves, posters torn on the walls. "Man, imagine this when everything was so intact." Ellie pondered, examining the posters on the walls.

Marlo walked over to the vinyls, plucking one of the covers from the near empty shelves. It was an Aerosmith record. Their name was written in red squiggly letters, over a picture of five diamonds standing up on its points — titled: Rocks. It was dusty and faded. Her fingers ran over the old paper material, wistfully. She glanced at the other two girls walking around, pondering their surroundings, before peeling her bag off of her back. She wasn't sure if she had space, but she was gonna try and make room. Her fingers quickly unzipped her bag, pushing the extra clothes out the way, and slid the thin cover into the back of her bag. Marlo thought back on Dominique — she had said that name before: Aerosmith. This could be her get out of jail free card. She threw her bag back onto her shoulders, adjusting the rifle hooked to the side. "Everything in here is so cool." Marlo giggled, picking up thin faded poster from the ground.

"The Sleek Habit." Dina shrugged her shoulders, examining a record. She looked to the brunette, who snorted at her pronunciation of the band. It wasn't her fault though, the cover was just so old. "The Sick Habit." Ellie corrected over her shoulder, walking into an overgrown room. Dina rolled her eyes mocking her playfully, as she moved onto another item. "I'm gonna go look downstairs really quick." She mused, absentmindedly jogging down the aged steps of the music shop. The sound of guitar strings alerted her ears. She pivoted her feet to the overgrown room the freckled girl had walked into. Ellie was sat on a cement block, a guitar delicately in her arms. She strummed the strings, creating a familiar melody. Marlo approached the room, leaning on the doorframe. Her honey-dark eyes observed her sentimentality, as her fingers plucked the strings. A blissful smile grew on her full pouty lips, crossing her arms over her chest.

          She'd never heard her sing before. Ellie always seemed so shy to show off her voice to her. And every time she sang in a public setting, Marlo was never around. But with earthy vines surrounding her, she seemed to be in her element. "If I were to lose you..." She sang daintily, strumming with her fingers. The auburn-haired girl placed her hands over the strings, holding her head low. Marlo could sense the hint of despair. She shifted on her feet before speaking. "What's that about?" She gently inquired, making firm eye contact with the girl once she looked up. Ellie sucked her teeth, scoffing to herself. The brunette furrowed her eyebrows. "Nothing." She muttered, looking back to the instrument. Her woodsy-green eyes examined the beautifully carved wood. Marlo keeping her eyes trained on the grip a few meters from her. "Nothing? Hm." She hummed. "I like the way nothing sounds." Marlo giggled, moseying towards her. She rubbed her bottom lip with her thumb, glancing back up at the approaching brunette.

         "You remember the night of the bonfire?"

         Ellie started, meeting her eyes. Marlo smiled looking to her boots. "Yeah, I wasn't there," she spoke at the same time as the guitarist. "You weren't there." The freckled girl nervously snorted, averting her eyes once more. Her arms were still crossed over her chest while she watched Ellie begin to play again. She placed her hands comfortably on the strings, focusing.

         She strummed a joyful melody. The grin on Marlo's face widening. "Talking away..." Ellie sang, strumming the strings. "I don't know what I'm to say I'll say it anyway." Her voice was small and delicate, timid. The brunette watched her stature, seeing her foot tap to the tune. "Today's another day to find you shying away... I'll be coming for your love, okay." She breathed. "Take on me." She swayed while she sung, feeling the melody. Marlo had sat on the ground, crossing her legs and placing her hands in her lap. Her body swayed, while her eyes gleamed in awe. Her soft voice eased her overstimulated senses — she even forgot for a moment that she was outside of Jackson. It felt like home, and for once she was okay with it. As her vocals went in and out bashfully, her smile increased. Marlo felt that she could be there forever, in that spot on the floor. Only if she could hear her voice on repeat. When Ellie finished, she took her hands off the strings, leaning on the guitar. Her dreamy green eyes timidly looked at her, her pouty lips quivering into a smirk. "I can't believe that's what I missed..." She spoke in awe. "If only I could turn back time." Marlo purred, her dark eyes never leaving her green ones. Her head leaned on the bottom of the guitar, gazing into the brunette. "I really wanted you to be there." Ellie admitted with a low soft voice.

         That was the night of her first patrol. She had missed it, because her sister was biting her head off about her new job. Marlo had decided to stay in, and try to make up for it, instead of running away like she normally did. At the time, she was just becoming close with Ellie. She was just finally opening up to people, and she wasn't expecting to be wanted so quickly. She assumed that her presence wasn't necessary, but Ellie just cleared that up in a few minutes. As the two gazed into each others eyes, she thought. Her heart wouldn't be so chirpy if she didn't have feelings for the freckled girl in front of her. It was something that would be very difficult to admit, but she did have a thing for her.

            Marlo Austen really liked Ellie Williams.

            "All right," She sighed, placing the instrument beside her on the ground. "We should keep movin'." Ellie stood to her feet, offering the brunette a hand. Marlo bashfully took her hand, jumping to her feet. Their hands remained intertwined, as she turned around to see a smiley Dina. The freckled girl chuckled to herself, while Marlo's cheeks flushed immensely. She was leaning on the doorframe, with radiant dark eyes. The brunette deadpanned at the girl who was giggling under her smiley expression. "I didn't say anything." Dina curled around the wall, while the two walked out of the room. Marlo let go of Ellie's hand, jogging down the stairs with a smile. "The exit is down here." Dina instructed, glancing over her shoulder with suspecting eyes. The brunette flexed her fingers, feeling the coolness of them no longer being in contact with hers. She had it bad didn't she?

unedited.
note. y'all i'm soft... 🥺😔🥰