chapter eight

viii

viii. jordan and mike.

                Surprise, they had to pass another gate. Trotting through on their horses, Dina mentioned a very important factor — a place to sleep, high above ground. Her mentioning something close to sleep triggered her fatigue. She could just fall off of Shimmer and tumble ground.

            Her arms were firmly wrapped around Ellie's toned waist, her hand brushing her thigh every once and awhile. "I still have some of those almond things left, if you guys are hungry." Dina offered, trotting with the horse. She'd reach and scratch behind his ear to keep him comfortable sometimes — without Marlo telling her. The brunette sat up straight, holding out her hand. "Hell yeah. I'm starved." She reached into the net of her backpack, taking out a cylinder-like wrapper, tossing it to the girl with a giggle. With one hand around Ellie's torso, she caught the small bag effortlessly with her other hand. "Yes," She whispered to herself, tearing the wrapper with her teeth. "You sure you don't want some, Ellie?" Marlo asked, holding the bag over her shoulder. She looked at it with the corner of her eye, shaking her head. "Ehh, no thanks."

          Marlo sighed, "Well, you need to eat something soon. Can't have you falling out from dehydration and hung-"

           Right when they were comfortable, forming a plan to find a place to sleep. They were caught. The horses leaped over the barbed wire, tripping a bomb and launching their riders. Marlo hit the ground a little ways from Ellie, Dina rolling into some large divot in the ground. A yelp fell from her lips once she made contact with the broken asphalt, immediately reaching a hand to her torso. Her ears rung while she tried to search for her friends. The first noise that was audible was the sounds of her frightened and injured horse. "Ellie-!" She strangled, interjected by her own coughing. "Dina!" Marlo tried, again. She rolled on her back in shock, trying to gather her six senses. Her vision started to clear at the sound of another voice. "Get the other! Don't lose her! Go!" He enforced. The brunette rolled onto her stomach, seeing the men rush into the hole she fell into. Another man stood over her horse, aiming a gun at his head and pulling the trigger. "Fuck," She muttered, anger attempting to rip through her injured body.

        Ellie made firm eye contact with her before she started crawling to grab the rifle in between them. Before she could aim it, the man pulled it from her weak hands, and knocking her unconscious with the back of the gun. Nervously, she started patting her thigh for her pistol, feeling the emptiness of her holster. "Fuck me," Marlo looked over her shoulder seeing it meters away from her. It was far, but she could try. She turned herself around, inevitability locking eyes with cold man. He sighed, watching her try attempt to grab her weapon, parading over to the girl. Marlo groaned loudly in frustration, seeing how he was merely a few inches away from her, mocking her failure. She reached for the black handle of her pistol, but him roughly stepping on her fingers — the same fingers from the last time. She sobbed in pain, glaring at the man towering above her. "Nice try, sweetheart." A smirk arose on his face, angering the girl, before her knocked her lights out.