chapter seven

vii

vii. take it easy, m.

               Marlo couldn't help but think about what Nate had told her before she left. Revenge is a filthy road to go down. She was sure it was, but it all made sense. That girl took Joel away from her directly in front of her, brutally. Her friends disrespecting his body, kicking the shit out of someone else she cared about. For reasons she didn't even know — how could she not? The brunette needed to work out a method in her head in case things got bad, because that was a high possibility. She didn't plan on leaving her side to try and prevent that scenario from happening. But Ellie is Ellie, and she will do what she damn well pleases — alone, if she has to.

On the ride back to the Fuck FEDRA gate, she decided to ride on Ellie's horse. Or more like the freckled girl offering it to her, hinting that she saw her clutching her side after the attack. It really didn't matter how many times she proclaimed that she was alright. So, she barely objected, and wrapped her arms around the girls waist. She'd located the generator, filling it with the gas it needed to power the gate. They galloped through the gate, approaching Serevena Hotel. The streets weren't as overgrown, but there was still broken down cars and moldy buildings. As they came around the corner of the metal barrier between them and the hotel, she spotted an infected jumping over the fence. "Holy shit, infected just hopped that fence." Marlo blurted, knitting her eyebrows together. Dina reacted with an impressed scoff, directing the horse away from the fence. "Means we can get in that way..." Ellie commented, tilting her head.

A spray painted symbol of the WLF was on the stone walls of the Serevena Hotel — a wolf, which made so much more sense. "Shouldn't we hear gunshots or something?" The dark-haired girl thoughtfully inquired, trotting on the horse. If their symbol was on the hospital, that had to mean that they were inside, right? The girls directed the horses towards fence, again, dismounting. "I don't know what going on..." The freckled girl answered, peering up at their obstacle — the barbed fence. Marlo pulled out her pistol, reloading it just in case. She huffed, mentally preparing to vault over the metal bars. Ellie hopped over first, immediately turning around as if she was okay. "Hey, Marlo. You okay over there?" She whisper-yelled. The brunette sharply inhaled, jumping up onto the large trash can. "Yup," She curled her lips into a straight line. Her soreness had increased from the runner attack, and launching herself over those bars would only make it worse. But she was gonna do it anyway. "I can help-" Dina tried.

"No, no- I got it." Marlo reached atop of the gate, kicking her feet over. She expected her boots to hit the ground roughly, disrupting her healing process. Instead, a pair of boney hands caught her hips, making sure she hit the ground softly. A light sigh left her lips, Ellie earnestly looking at her. "Are you good?" One of her hands, still placed on her hip. Marlo nodded, a weak smile appearing on her lips. "Yeah, Ellie." Marlo deeply sighed, in a detectable frustration. She noticed, sliding her hand off of her hip, keeping her forest eyes trained on her. The brunette crouched, avoiding her eyes — watching for movement inside the entrance. Maneuvering through the tall grass, gripping her pistol. With all the help, she was beginning to feel like she was being babied. It was better when Ellie and Dina believed that her health was improving.