chapter nine

oix

oix. work smarter, not harder.

             Marlo had gotten this sudden burst of confidence after peck she granted Ellie. She'd felt that hopefully it established some mutual agreement — that they had each other's backs — that they could protect themselves until they couldn't. Marlo assumed that she didn't perceive all of what she believed. Ellie wasn't too keen on picking up signals, but she had to perceive something, right? It boggled her mind how alike they truly were. Nothing was ever going to be comprehended unless they both screamed how they felt at each other — it was an exhausting thought.

"We gotta get away from this school. Now."

The sight of a WLF vehicle pulling up, unloading two soldiers and two dogs. Marlo huffed pinching the bridge of her nose in frustration. She may have previously kicked some ass, but she was also undoubtedly tired. The three girls were on the roof of the school, scouting for a way out. With little hesitation, Ellie launched off of the roof to a nearby buildings balcony. The brunette was at a loss for words at her very sudden action. Ellie hung for a moment, before hauling herself over the untrustworthy bar. "I got it. Come on." She instructed waiting for the two girls to do the same. Marlo glanced over at the unamused girl beside her. One of her hands was placed on her stomach comfortingly as she readied herself. The brunette didn't think much of it, but it was something she never noticed before. Huffing, Marlo jumped for the balcony, then hauling herself over the metal railing. The freckled girl had waited for her before entering through the broken blinds.

Dina followed suit, as the brunette stepped on the mushy ground beneath her shoes. The balcony's flooring was covered in a sheet of moss and dead leaves. She entered, pushing the uneven blinds to the side, examining the old home. Everything looked so messed up — like, whoever used to live there, must've been in a rush to leave. Out of habit, she began rummaging through drawers and cabinets. Marlo stepped towards the television lightly, nimbly searching through the things. It was a drawer under the tv with dozens of video game disks. "Jackpot," She whispered, a smile grazing over her dry lips. Licking her lips, she looked over her shoulder at a concentrated Ellie. She was taking some extra supplies she'd found, completely unfazed by her staring. Maybe after this whole thing was over, they could maybe play some games — just like they used to. It was called Mortal Combat X, and it looked pretty fun. Seemed like a game Marlo could beat her ass in. She quickly stuck it inside of her bag, before averting to attention to extra supplies.

       Going off on her own, she hauled over the flipped couch to explore the bedrooms. She walked into the one of the rooms with a curious expression. It was almost taken over by leafy vines — the bed almost completely covered with the green. Marlo ambled to the beside table, pulling the drawer open. A chipped card was stuck to bottom of said drawer, faded in color. Biting on the skin inside of her lips, she scratched it from the base of it. A small smile appeared on her lips as she remembered. Just in time, a freckled girl peeked her head into the room with her determined face. "Pedro Rojas, AKA: Cardio." She held the card between her index and middle finger. Ellie snickered, scuffing towards her. She plucked the card from her fingers with humph, raising her thick eyebrows to it, before confusingly scrunching them. "How'd you know I collected these?" She arched her lips in question. Marlo chortled, crossing her arm over her chest. "I'm an observer, Ellie. Plus, it's not like you were exactly trying to hide it." She giggled, prancing out of the room.