0:8

The days that followed since our last phone conversation were normal for the most part. I was occupying my time by studying and writing, while Noel and I rather frequently would text each other during the week. He was busy filming Bake Off on certain days or doing interviews, but when we both had free time, we would talk to each other on the phone. I would look forward to hearing his soothing voice on the other end of the phone, brightening my days times ten.

We agreed to spend an entire day together and I was admittedly very happy to be with him again. When the day finally came, I could hardly contain my excitement that Gracie had to help me get ready. My bed was soon covered with clothes as she dug through my small, overly cramped closet.

"How about this, Em?" She held up a yellow spring dress and put it against me.

"I suppose this would look nice, but I also don't want to wear a dress to every occasion." I said, letting out a frustrated sigh.

Gracie began to search my closet again, before pulling out a pair of green shorts and a white long sleeve poet blouse. "Okay, what about this then?"

I approved of the outfit, seeing as it was casual yet dressy and threw it on, pairing it with some brown platform sandals. Several minutes later, we were in the bathroom together. Gracie proceeded to help me fix my hair, putting soft waves in my usual pin-straight dark brown hair, while I applied a bit of makeup.

"You should do something extra with your eyes, Em! You could play them up with black eyeliner or something. Maybe you could wing it out?" She mused as she continued working on my hair, flickering her eyes to the mirror in front of us every now and then.

I shook my head. I wasn't a fan of dramatic makeup. "Can't I just go with a natural look?"

Gracie frowned. "I guess so..."

I was about to defend my choice when I heard my phone vibrate against my wooden nightstand. I quickly threw down the makeup brush in my hand as Gracie carefully backed away with the heating wand. I ran into my bedroom to pick up the ringing phone as fast as I could. Noel told me that he was walking to our flat and that he would be there in a few. I heard the sound of the wind blowing past him over the phone as he was walking.

My cousin was still freaking out over the fact that I was spending time with "the beautiful Noel Fielding," while it hadn't quite hit me yet that I was now speculated to be with one of England's most treasured celebrities. I could agree, however, that he had an overwhelming charm to him.

After having gotten ready, we heard the doorbell buzz and I watched as Gracie animatedly rushed to open the door. I was standing a few feet behind her and could hear her greet Noel with an awe-stricken voice. Imagining what her face must've looked like, I was struggling to contain a laugh.

"I'm Emma's cousin, Gracie...It's an honor to meet you."

I heard Noel's laugh. "So you're the cousin, yeah? Emma's told me so much about you, it's a pleasure."

I walked closer up behind Gracie and saw Noel in the door frame. He had on his same oval sunglasses and a leopard print jacket with a white shirt underneath and tight blue jeans that didn't leave much to the imagination. Noel looked past Gracie and noticed me which elicited a smile from him. Gracie saw his expression and turned around to look at me, her eyes still wide from being starstruck.

"Ready to go, Emma?" Noel asked, tossing his head back to clear the hair from his eyes, though it immediately fell back into place.

"Yeah, of course." I shuffled past Gracie and told her goodbye, before Noel and I headed out.

The sun was high in the afternoon sky, but there was still a cool breeze caressing our skin. Inhaling the spring air, I looked down at our elongated shadows on the pavement as we walked side by side. Noel's was significantly taller than mine but I think it was partly due to the silver heeled boots he was wearing. He had his hands stuffed in the pockets of his jacket as we walked at a steady pace, enjoying each other's company and light conversation.

As we neared the museum, we passed by a park with lots of greenery and people walking. With the tree branches rustling, flowers sprouting their buds on the shrubs and bushes, I was already thinking of coming back in the summertime when all the surrounding trees and flowers were in full bloom. People were riding bicycles, others were stretched out on the grass with their heads resting on bunched up sweaters and blankets. The whole view looked rather picturesque and we both agreed that an impromptu stroll seemed practical.

There was a big open field of grass in the center of the park and I couldn't resist the temptation of walking in it barefoot. I unbuckled my sandals and stepped down into the lush green grass, immediately feeling the cool sensation it had to offer. It reminded me of when I was a child in the hot springtime. Noel plopped himself down in the grass, propping himself up on his elbows, and letting the sun beam down on him. He was a sight to see as the sun hit him. I sat down next to him with crossed legs and felt the warm sun against my bare skin. The noise of children playing in the far off distance along with the sound of birds chirping made it seem like this was some kind of paradise. At least, it seemed that way until my eyes spotted a paparazzi crouching down behind a big tree about a mile away.

"They know we're here now," I said unenthusiastically.

"Who? The paps?" Noel raised his sunglasses over his eyes momentarily to scan the park, before putting them back over his eyes and leaning his head back. "I'm not too bothered, they're just doing their job."

"I suppose you're used to it by now, but I don't see how you can be so laid back about what they say about us."

"Emma, if I genuinely cared about everything those people said about me, I'd be out of my mind. I've learned that it's not healthy for you, it's enough to make a person lose their sense of self." He turned his head towards me and gave me a sympathetic look. "Don't think too much about it, yeah? The most they can do is speculate about us, they haven't got a clue what we're actually about."

I picked at the blades of grass beside my leg and tried to process what he just told me. I heard Noel mumble "come here" before pulling me into an unexpected playful hug. I laughed, throwing the bits of grass I had in my fists at him.

"What is that?" He laughed and began tickling me under my arms.

If it were any other person, I would have probably already hit him for tickling me against my will. But with Noel, I succumbed to his actions and fell into a fit of laughter.

"Throwing grass on my outfit, are you?" He continued tickling me, despite my effort to squirm away. He had a giant grin on his face throughout.

"I- I'm s- sorry," I managed to utter in between laughs, my stomach now beginning to feel tight.

"That's more like it." When he finally stopped tickling me, my head was resting on his stomach and he was peering at me from behind his thick shades with that same complacent grin.

My chest moved up and down as I tried to catch my breath, looking up at the white cumulus clouds that lazily rolled above us. Noel moved the few strands of hair from my face and tucked them behind my ear. I turned my head and we looked at each other. It was the same look we'd share at the cafe. Something about the sunlight hitting his handsome features and the slight breeze tossing his layered hair in different directions, making some of it stick straight up and then flop back down, made me weak. It seemed like even the elements of nature worked in his favor.

It suddenly became clear to me in that moment why people found him to be so attractive. Sure he was rather good looking, had definitive facial features, a beautiful smile, and envious hair, but it wasn't about any of those qualities. He had a gentle, childlike soul that cared deeply about the people and things he loved. I didn't think there was even a single bad bone in his body. He made anyone he so happened to be talking to feel like the only person in the world that mattered and gave them his undivided attention. He made me feel like I was his favorite person.

Something was changing between us, like something was beginning to blossom into something new. But at what cost? I was weary of losing the friendship we built for the sake of trying something that might not work.