1:4

Sitting on our plush couch, crying my eyes out was a scene that was more appropriate for my typical Friday night. About an hour had passed and I was still as distraught as I was when I first witnessed what took place in front of me. It started raining full on when we called for a car, and by the time we made it back home, we were drenched. Raindrops were dripping off of our hair, leaving a puddle at our feet as we keyed open the door. Gracie was beside me the entire time and I felt like I wasn't worthy to have her sympathy, it was never my intention to be a burden on her or ruin the evening she was really looking forward to.

Our coffee table was soon covered in tissues as the night continued. Gracie tried to ease my pain with her uplifting words. "He's not worth your tears, Em. You're better than that and you know it too. You can't let this put a damper on your life here."

I stared blankly at the basic white carpet in our living room, unable to get the image out of my head. "He told me he loved me - I wonder if he even meant it. He is too nice and enticing with everyone he meets, he's bound to find someone better than me." I sniffled, my eyes were now dry and I felt like I couldn't produce any more tears. "I shouldn't be surprised. I just don't understand why I'm so upset."

"Don't you dare say that. I never want to hear that again from you, you hear me?" She gently shook me, causing me to break my empty staring at the carpet. "Is there any chance that you could be blowing this whole thing out of proportion? Maybe he was just being overly friendly with her? Noel does have this character that endears him to anyone he meets."

"Yeah, thanks for the reminder. It was stupid of me to even begin to think that we could be together. If he's like this with everyone he meets then I don't think I can cope with competing with every girl whose more attractive than I am that comes into contact with him. I looked like a troll compared to her, Grace," I let out a defeated sigh and laid my dampened head in my cousin's lap. She instantly started to stroke my long hair. "I shouldn't even have to compete for someone's love in the first place."

"Stop talking bad about yourself. You have qualities that she or any girl on earth will never have. You are beautiful in your own unique way and if Noel can't see that then he's dumb."

Although she didn't mention Jake's name, I knew she was reminded of how I acted when I was trying to get over him. We were sitting in the same exact spots and I was pouring my heart out to her in the middle of the night. At this point, I was beginning to get the feeling that maybe the reason both Jake and Noel's heads turned was because it had something to do with me. I didn't want to upset Gracie any further with my thoughts so I kept them to myself.

My phone that was face down on the coffee table suddenly vibrated, making an unexpected noise that jolted me out of my thoughts. I couldn't be bothered to answer it or see who it was. Gracie moved to pick it up as I turned around to lay on my other side.

"It's Noel, he's calling you." I didn't respond, but I probably should have because Gracie got up from the couch and answered it for me. I shut my eyes and listened to her talk to Noel as she took the conversation away into the kitchen.

"Noel, listen to me. Emma does not want to talk to you - not now, not tomorrow, and not any day after that." It broke my heart to picture how he must've looked on the other side of the phone. Gracie slightly raised her voice, "She's upset with you, don't you understand? Hell, I'm upset with you. Please give us some space, yeah? Why don't you go off with that bird you looked so besotted with." I heard my phone slam on the marble countertop and then an aggravated sigh.

"Can you believe him? He was asking where you were, he was still at the party from what it sounded like." A large part of me began feeling bad again, knowing that Gracie was so obsessed with Noel from the beginning and how she had high hopes for him. I knew she could never look at him in the same light again.

"Come on, let's get you to your bed, lovie" Gracie took my hand and helped me to sit up. My eyes probably resembled those of a raccoon, with my eyeliner and mascara smeared all over the place. Regardless, Gracie still made sure I was okay and never left me alone. She even slept beside me and we both fell asleep in our dresses and smudged makeup. I was entirely grateful for her. I don't know how I would live without her.