0:9

Our adventure through the art museum consisted of studying pieces of art intently, Noel explaining to me the history of certain works, and us lost in our own trains of thought. Although it was particularly quiet in the museum and we had to keep our voices down, there was a certain peacefulness to it all - almost like a meditation. I found myself looking at paintings and wondering how the artist felt while creating it and then relating it to myself in some form. Noel was often in his own head too, silently observing art beside me. I would look at him every now and then to see him with his eyebrows narrowed, hands clasped behind his back, deep in reflection.

We eventually came to the Magrittè section and sat on a bench in front of one of the paintings together. Noel looked on intensely at the works of art hanging on the white walls of the museum while I adjusted the strap of my sandal that had been bothering me. When I looked up, Magrittè's Les Amants series were staring back at me. Two unknown figures whose faces were covered in white sheets displayed a great sense of love for one another, despite their minor separation. The anonymity of the two lovers along with the simple yet effective choice of colors, let my mind run wild with imagination. It was one of my favorite Magrittè pieces and an image that I resonated all too much with.

-

"What do you want me to do about it, Emma? We're different people now from the day we first met." There was silence and then the words that might as well have been a stab in the chest. "People change. Shit happens."

I fought back my tears of frustration and the words I really wanted to say. The boy that I had known for over two years, the one I called the love of my life was now a stranger who I no longer knew. He had met another girl who managed to change his entire approach to life in mere weeks.

"Jake, do whatever you want to do. It's your life, after all."

There were no goodbyes heard in our last phone conversation. He left without giving me a reason, leaving me to constantly wonder about why he let this happen to us, depriving me of a closure. I let him slip away and didn't even try to stop him.

That's when I left the States, leaving behind all of my regrets and failures in the dust. Even though it happened nearly a year ago, it still came back to haunt me when I least expected it to. Whether I wanted to face it or not, I will never be able to erase it from my memory. And that kept me up at night.

-

My eyes tore themselves away from the paintings to look over at Noel, who was still observing them. He sat with his back curved on the very edge of the wooden bench, his hands resting on either side of him. His blue eyes were slightly squinted as they roamed around, absorbing every intricate detail. He looked like a student on a field trip to the museum - eager and hungry to be in the presence of art. I couldn't help but smile to myself.

I nudged him with my elbow, getting his attention. He looked over at me and nudged me back, his lips forming into a curve.

"Have you had your fill of art for the day?" I asked.

Noel rubbed his chin. "Not quite yet. I'm way too inspired now to take a rest. Look what you've done to me."

I laughed quietly, making sure to keep my voice down. "Me? Blame Magrittè!"

His eyes rested longingly on mine for a moment before he stood up and offered his hand to me. He motioned his head towards the exit. "Come on, let's get out of here."

When we walked outside of the museum, dusk was already approaching. The sky was beginning to lose its light, but it couldn't have been a clearer night.

"Shall we get you a ride back?" he asked as we continued walking away from the museum.

"Actually, I wouldn't mind the walk."