CHAPTER 13

It feels like time has sped up ever since I became involved with Damien, and all of a sudden, it is December. He pretends like his confession session never occurred, and I don't bring it up. We have only two weeks till Christmas, and I love how festive the mall is, with their large poinsettia tree and twinkling, bright lights entwined around all of the fixtures. The first snow of the season is falling down outside and just beginning to stick to the ground. Justin frantically texts me while I'm at work.

Justin: Skye!!!!!! I've been kicked out of my house

    I look around to make sure that my manager isn't lurking around, and I start to type back.

Me: are you serious????!!!! Why????

Justin: my dad found out that I'm gay

Me: omg.... what are you gonna do? Where are you??!

Justin: at the library... but they close soon and idk where to go and my phone is about to die, I may go to my friend Jasmine's house but idk how long I can stay there. I'm crying and freaking out

    My heart breaks. I've known Justin since we were 16, and he has always been a happy, joking presence in my life. He makes everyone laugh, and he can make friends with anyone. It is so frustrating that his father would be so judgmental, when Justin is a good person that shouldn't be defined by his sexual orientation. No one should have to be defined by that, and kicked out of their house, especially when they don't have the resources to live on their own as they are trying to go to college and improve their life.

Me: I'll check with my parents, but I'm sure it's fine if you come over tonight! I can pick you up from wherever, but I'll go on my break, talk to them, and let you know!! I could probably pick you up at like 9:30 PM?

Justin: OMG, thank you Skye!!!!!!!! You have no idea what this means to me

Me: of course, I'm sure that you would do the same for me =]

    I walk into the Nordstrom cafe, my favorite place to eat in the mall, order my usual Chicken Pesto Sandwich, and plop into a booth. I text my mom, and she is fine with Justin coming to stay with us for a bit. I just hope that my dad doesn't make a huge deal out of this, and start asking when he is about to leave, every night, as I suspect that he will. I text back Justin and he tells me to call him when I'm on my way, and he will give me directions on where to go.

I pick up Justin and he is curled into himself, shivering and crying in the doorway to a random apartment building in Ellicott City, about twenty minutes from my house. He is only wearing pajama bottoms and a fur hoodie. "OMG, Skye, yes, blast that heat. Thank you soooo much for doing this for me," he effusively offers his gratefulness. I feel bad for how he had to find somewhere to stay for a bit and walk here in the freezing rain and snow from the library, after it closed at 9 PM, even though there was nothing else I could do.

"Of course! Is that all you have?" I immediately regret that question. "Skye! Did you think that I had time to pack a suitcase?! I shoved what I could into this backpack and that's it," he laughs. "Well, at least I made you laugh," I grin. "Let's go home, get you some warm, dry clothes, and you'll feel better once you've had something hot to eat, too." Justin finally seems to relax and thanks me again.