Deal Carried Out [Chapter 68]

In the blink of an eye, blackness wraps around us, then unwraps to reveal we're back infront of the villains' hideout. I watch Vex quickly and calmly move to the door, carefully opening it then looking back to us. He waves forward, for us to enter the building. Warren moves forward and I follow behind him. Vex closes the door behind us when we enter the building. Illestra looks over to us and smiles.

"I'm impressed, that was astoundingly quick. It would've taken us days to attack each base and defeat everyone."

She says, Vex quickly stepping passed me to reveal himself to everyone. Everyone looks at his blood-soaked skin and clothes, almost shocked. Illestra smiles evily and puts her hand under her chin.

"Now, now, maybe I had the wrong idea of you. By how you spoke and carried yourself, I had imagined you to be quite pure. I imagined you to be the most innocent of the group, but I see I was wrong. Just look at you."

She extends her arms and smiles widely.

"Almost flaunting the blood of those that fell before you. Now I may be cruel, but that just seems insane."

She says happily, Vex sighs and looks at his arms.

"If they were corrupting the system and had only labeled themselves as heroes, then they didn't deserve to live."

I quickly look to Vex, completely shocked by his words. I slowly reach back for my sword and watch him carefully. I think to myself while clutching my handle.

Vex would never say that, never. This can't be Vex, it has to be a trick of some kind.

I slowly start to pull my sword from its sheath, but Vex quickly spins around and puts his hand on my wrist. I attempt to keep pulling the sword out, but face heavy resistance. I understand it's the real Vex based solely on his strength.

"I will never kill innocent people, but they weren't innocent."

Vex says quietly. Warren chuckles.

"Mhm, right."

Warren says sarcastically under his breath. Vex winks at me and I stare back, baffled.

What was that? What is he trying to tell me?

Vex looks back to Illestra.

"Now, enough of that topic. As the deal said, you would give us some info we wanted."

Vex crosses his arms and Illestra giggles.

"Yes, yes, of course. But first, please go wash off. That fresh blood is dripping onto the floor, and I'd prefer it not to dry."

Vex gives a compliant thumbs up and Illestra leads him through a door. A moment later and she walks back in with a rag, quickly wiping the drops of blood from the floor as she moves. She sighs and tosses the bloody rag into a small container.

"I normally would've questioned if you had truly killed that many people in such a short time, but with your stats and the amount of blood on your friend, it would be hard not to believe it."

Illestra softly says, sitting down once more and crossing her legs. She looks to a tv in the corner and smiles. I look over and read the words rolling across the screen.

"In urgent and dire news, all the heroes have vanished!"

The headline reads. I raise an eyebrow and see a bar start moving upwards. Slowly a voice comes through and starts speaking. I take a step back, confused. Illestra giggles.

"Oh, I keep forgetting. You're from that poor agriculture continent. You haven't had much experience with technology."

I grit my teeth.