Day 23

18 July
Day 23: A letter to someone, anyone

Ohhh 23 is my favourite number! And the day I was born! Anyway

Saturday, 18th of July 2020
To Ben:

Dear Ben,

You probably don't remember me. Or maybe you do.

But I don't think I'd ever forget you. I developed a crush on you in the short time we talked to each other. It was grade seven, the last few months before the end of the year.

Before we finished primary school.

Before we went to separate highschools and probably never see each other again.

It all started when the English teacher moved me to the back of the class, to sit next to you.

At first I didn't like sitting next you. To be completely honest, I dreaded it.

You used to poke me with your blue pen. Then there'd be ink all over my arm or shirt.

Or you'd make these strange noises, which annoyed me at first. But later it made me laugh.

You completely distracted me from my work, by doing silly things when the teacher wasn't looking.

Or you'd scribble in my book making a mess before I could get the chance to stop you.

But soon, I felt different. Instead of dreading it, I felt myself looking forward to it. I liked looking into your blue eyes. Or your brown hair that always seemed so messy.

At times, you made me laugh so hard, I just prayed the teacher wouldn't notice.

Soon this came to an end. The last exams of the year started, we had to move into alphabetical order.

We talked less, rumours went around that you were going out with a girl in our class. Which I still don't know whether it was true or not.

So I locked my feelings away. I knew it wasn't possible for us to be a thing. Like I said, we'd go seperate ways and we did.

But I think I wrote this letter to thank you.

Thank you for making me smile.

Thank you for asking if I was okay when no one else did

Thank you for making me feel like I wasn't invisible

Thank you for making me actually want to go to school.

Thank you for making me feel like I had a friend, even if it was just for a few months.

Thank you

-That green-eyed girl that sat next to you in English class