16. "Remember you're dead?"

(1064 words)

*ETHAN's POV*

I sat at my desk in my office, reviewing certain data files, going through the main points of the project we were currently working on and signing papers that required my signature. All depressing and dismaying thoughts were pushed to the back of my head, for a while at least.

It was going to be one of our biggest projects yet. Zayn would occasionally call me to discuss certain points and ideas and hence, there were enough distractions to keep me sulking about my wife and unborn baby.

You know these haunting thoughts will never leave you alone, Ethan. No matter how much you try to bury them somewhere in your memory or busy yourself with loads of work. Is it possible to forget someone you loved more than yourself? No.

A call from my assistant, Alayah, came through. "Yes?" I answered.

"Sir, Miss Jennifer Raymond is here to see you." She spoke and it took everything in me not to hurl something across the room. Why wouldn't that girl leave me alone?

"Tell her to leave. Immediately." I asserted. There was no way I was going to let her face me again. She would do nothing but talk shit and waste my time.

"Alright, sir." Came Alayah's response and I hung up, continuing to work on the tasks at hand. Barely five minutes passed when the door to my office was roughly pushed open and in walk two girls.

The devil Jennifer Raymond and Alayah hastily following behind.

"Sir, I'm so sorry. I tried to stop her."

"No one can stop me. Ethan Woods, it's time you listen to me. This is the last chance I'm giving you." Jennifer spoke sternly, her blazing eyes looking at me fearlessly.

"What do you think you're doing? Who do you think you are, huh? I'll have you behind bars for this behaviour." I shouted, losing my temper.

"I warned you before. You just don't seem to listen. Listening to me will benefit you, Mr. Woods. I'm not afraid of you. It is you who should fear me."

"I should fear you? Funny. Get out this instant." I pointed at the door in a fit of fury, my eyes glaring at her. She, as usual, was seemingly unfazed.

"I want to be a shareholder in your company." She said all of a sudden and I just stood there, baffled for a few minutes as silence fell. Alayah also looked at her like she'd grown another head.

Then I found myself succumbing to sarcastic laughter. "Did you hear that, Alayah?" I smirked and she snickered, shaking her head.

"Should I call security, sir? This woman is clearly not right in the head."

"I'm wondering why you haven't done that yet." I replied.

"Do it. I dare you. You'll regret it," Jennifer said out loud, confident as ever. "You'll come to me yourself, Ethan Woods, offering me your everything and begging for what I have." And in a swift move, she marched out of my office.

Composing my self, I looked at Alayah. "Inform the guards. I do not want this girl to step foot into my building again or they're getting fired."

She nodded her head before walking out as well. I plopped back onto my chair, sighing and letting my head fall into my hands.

———

*UNKNOWN's POV*

I walked down the stairs to the basement where Anastasia had been held captive with a tray of food in my hands. Quite a bother it was, having to feed someone three times a day. However, I was going to get rid of that problem soon. I ain't got no soft corner for babies. I just need to be patient before I actually get rid of her. Who the fuck cares about the baby in her womb?

"Here you go." I pushed the tray to her and untied her hands so she could eat.

She was quite egotistic and feisty the first day she was brought there, yelling and struggling and refusing to eat. But how long can you refuse when you have baby growing inside of you?

"Let me go. Why are you doing this?" She repeated the same words she repeated almost everyday. I rolled my eyes, taking a seat in front of her.

"Don't talk much, Ana. Remember you're dead?"

Her eyes teared up and I couldn't resist rolling my eyes again at the melodramatic bitch. "Is it money you want? You can ask Ethan for that. Please let me go. Have mercy on the baby inside of me, if not me." She said.

"Eat." I ordered harshly.

"Please." She repeated, her voice breaking.

"You're dead, Ana. Get that in that thick skull of yours. You ain't going back to your husband ever again. Now eat. Have some mercy on your baby. I'm sure it's hungry."

I was still contemplating if I should break the news to Ethan Woods, that his beloved wife was still alive. That he'd buried someone else's corpse. It would help me getting everything out of him that I wanted, and I could always get rid of  his annoying little wife at the last moment.

———

*Ethan's POV*

I was in my bedroom, trying to avoid those usual depressing thoughts. Thoughts that I knew would haunt me and stick with me till the end of time.

A knock sounded at my door, breaking my train of thoughts, and I went to open it.

"Sophia."

"Hey, Ethan. This envelope came for you." She said, holding out an off-white envelope. I took it from her hand. "Thanks."

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"Yes." I lied. I was done with everyone telling me that I would move on one day and that it would get better. It doesn't. It only gets worse. More and more painful each day.

"I'm glad." She gave me a small smile.

"Aren't the renovations at your house done?" I questioned.

"Oh they're done... Are you tired of having me around?"

"No, I was just wondering." I replied.

"You're going through a tough time. So I wanted to stick around. I can leave tomorrow if my presence bothers you." She said.

"No, you can stay as long as you like."

"Thanks, Ethan."

"Good night, Sophia."

I walked back into my bedroom, tearing open the envelope. A small object fell onto my hand, making my heart stand still in my ribcage.

————————————————————————

Hey guys! Thank you so much for reading, your votes and comments. I appreciate it all a lot. I love seeing your comments.