18. "Shut up or I'll make you regret the day you were born."

Hi! Before you proceed, please be kind enough to follow my bookstagram (IG) PinkFruityFabGirl. It would mean so much to me. Thank you. ❤️

(2294 words)

"I told you you'll come to me yourself, did I not, Mr. Woods?" Jennifer spoke mockingly, an equally mocking and sly expression on her face as she smugly gazed at me. I continued to carry my straight face as I stood at her door.

"Well, come on in." She said, making way for me to walk inside, which I did.

Taking two deep breaths to calm myself, I turned towards her. "Where's Anastasia?"

"What's the rush? Make yourself comfortable first. Let me pour you a drink." She said casually, a seductive smirk plastered on her annoying face.

My fists balled up but I knew I had to stay calm. That woman was clearly capable of a lot and I couldn't risk Anastasia's life. "What do you want in return for her?" I asked.

*Anastasia's POV*

I woke up from my slumber only to find myself gagged and tied up again. I slumped further to the mucky ground, mentally, physically and emotionally knackered. Re-uniting with my husband and returning to our daily life, seemed like a distant and impossible dream, and my hopes and prayers appeared to be futile.

Tears once again escaped my eyes. I couldn't even bring myself to imagine what adverse impacts my emotions and current situation might have on the baby in my womb. If it had just been me and not my unborn baby inside my body, maybe I wouldn't be grieved about dying. But my baby was with me, unborn and innocent. I wanted Ethan and I to have a child and be a happy family. I didn't want to die without having given birth to a beautiful and healthy baby.

Muffled voices coming from upstairs broke my train of thoughts and caught my attention. I tried to listen but in vain. With all my might, I crawled forward towards the staircase, the restraining ropes around my body making it ever so hard to do it, but I managed it.

The voices were still muffled but I felt like one of them belonged to a male. It seemed oddly familiar or perhaps it was just my imagination. "JUST WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU WANT?!" The shout caught me off guard.

I remained there for a few minutes on the ground as I carefully registered the voice inside my head.

That's Ethan. That's his voice. It's got to be him.

For the first time in days, I felt hope light up inside of me. Relief swept over me and I felt like I could finally relax.

I smiled to myself. He's here. He'll get us out of this place.

*Ethan's POV*

"You want half of my company's shares?" I raised an eyebrow at her, my nostrils flaring in anger as I struggled to contain another outburst.

"Yes."

"Then you'll bring Anastasia to me?" I asked as calmly as I could.

"I'll hand her over to you with my very own hands, Ethan." She put an emphasis on my name, making sure to say it as provocatively as she could. It did nothing but exasperate me.

"Alright, but preparing those documents is a time-taking process." I told her.

"I'm aware. Have it started right away. The sooner it gets done, the sooner you reunite with your wife." She spoke ever so casually.

"Okay. Let me see her once, please. Then I'll give you whatever you want." I said.

"I'm not stupid. You're not seeing her until you give me what I want."