19. "Our baby..."

(2699 words)

"I got you baby, it's okay now." I held her against my chest after having freed her from the gag and ropes.

She sobbed into my chest. Placing a soft kiss on her head, I comfortingly ran my hand up and down her back and pulled her closer to me. "Everything's going to be okay now. I won't lose you again." I assured her, my voice a little out of breath, my heart beating abnormally fast at the excitement of having her back with me.

How I missed her presence, the feeling of her in my arms. Everything in the universe seemed to have aligned. She was like the final missing piece in a complicated puzzle.

She pulled back from me, a frown forming on her face. I looked at her in confusion. "What's wrong, love?" I inquired. Her face morphed into a painful one as she let out cries of agony.

"What's going on?" I desperately asked with my voice raised due to fear. I froze in place as she clutched her stomach and I noticed blood on her clothes. She was bleeding....

———

"You're going to be okay." I said breathlessly to a groaning Anastasia in the backseat of my Audi as I drove exceptionally fast to the hospital, cussing under my breath at the traffic we had to face.

"Our baby..." she mumbled amongst her groans of pain. I watched her clutch her stomach from the rear-view mirror. She seemed as if she might pass out any second.

"Nothing is going to happen to you or our baby. Hold on, Anastasia." My words were firm but breathless. I tried to bring my breathing under control as the city hospital came into view. In a rush, I was lucky to find a parking spot nearby.

There I was, running desperately into the hospital with my bleeding wife in my arms. Oh how many times we had been here...

"Help! My wife's bleeding. She's pregnant!" I cried out, grabbing a few nurses' attention.

"Please fill these papers at the front desk and deposit—"

"I'll do everything! Just begin her treatment first." I implored.

Laying on a stretcher, I watched Anastasia disappear from my line of view into the ICU. After filling the necessary documents and depositing the hospital fee, I slumped into one of the chairs in front of the ward where my wife and baby were.

Only an hour had passed, but it seemed like an eternity. I had finally found her, only to be met with another devastating occurrence. Why couldn't we just live in peace?

"Mr. Woods?"

I sprang up from my seat immediately, looking at the doctor expectantly. "Your wife is fine. She is weak though and there are signs of emotional distress. You must take care of her diet and make sure she's away from all sorts of sorrows."

"And our baby?"

"Baby is fine too, you guys made it on time. The stress had an impact on the child. You must be extremely careful from now on. Your wife suffered a near miscarriage." She replied and I breathed a sigh of relief.

"When can I take her home?" I asked.

"We need to keep her under observation for at least a few hours. We'll issue a discharge certificate afterwards, if her health doesn't deteriorate. You can go see her now." She responded and I nodded my head at her. "Thank you so much."

Pushing the door open, I strode inside, eager to see my beautiful wife.

"Anastasia." I whispered once I was standing by the bed. She looked a little frail indeed. Taking her supple hand in mine, I sat down next to her. Her eyes just gazed into mine, not a word left her mouth.