7 - Fit Like a Daydream

June 2017

Joe's POV

I carefully pushed the covers off as I snuck out of bed early this morning to go for a quick run. Taylor seemed very stressed last night and could use the extra sleep. I needed to get out to clear my head. Walking through the front door, I put in my air pods and began to run without any destination in mind.

My thoughts came and went with every foot step striking the pavement. I wanted to support Taylor, but sometimes I felt shut out. There are moments when she gets overwhelmed with work and won't say much to me. During our time in London, we were closer than ever. Now that we are back in the States, I wondered if she was growing tired of our relationship. Did she need more space? Did I need to do something differently? A part of me loved our secret relationship. Another part of me wished the whole world could know how much I love her. Taylor still isn't ready for everyone to know about us, and I always want to respect her wishes.

As I approached the house, returning from my run, I saw Austin in the driveway packing his car.

"You're up early," he called out as I jogged closer.

"Yeah." I took a moment to catch my breath. "Just got back from a quick run. You leaving already?"

Austin glanced at the stuff in his car. "Unfortunately. I'd love to stay, but I've got to be back for a workshop this afternoon."

"Well it was great to finally meet in person."

"You too man."

I turned to go back inside.

"Hey," Austin said before getting in his car. I stopped and turned back around. "You're a good guy, Joe. Take care of my sister."

"Absolutely," I promised. "Have a safe trip back." I stepped inside the house before I even saw him pull out of the driveway.

"Good morning," I called out as I passed Taylor's mom fixing breakfast in the kitchen. I took the stairs two at a time back to Taylor's bedroom.

She sat in bed reading something on her laptop. "Hey babe," I greeted her. She jumped, clearly startled, looked up at me and scrambled to close the laptop.

"Good morning. Did you have a good run?"

I nodded, "yeah, it was nice to get out. Did you sleep well? I hope I didn't wake you."

"I think I slept alright. I didn't hear you leave at all this morning," she replied.

"Good. Well, I'm going to hop in the shower quickly. Then, I'll be ready to head downtown whenever you are." I tossed my phone and air pods on the bedside table before grabbing my change of clothes.

"Hey Joe?" Taylor called my name from the bedroom the moment the water from the shower stopped running.

"Just a minute!" I yelled back. I grabbed a towel to quickly dry off before wrapping it around my waist. I opened the bathroom door, so I could hear her better. "What's up?"

"Who are you meeting this afternoon?" she asked.

I had no idea what she was talking about. "What do you mean?" I poked my head through the doorway.

Taylor held my phone in the palm of her hand. "Somebody texted you asking when would be a good time and place to meet today."

"Do you know who is asking?" I wondered.

"No, it's not a number you have saved."

"Hm," I shrugged. "Must be a mistake." I threw on a grey t-shirt and pulled on a pair of jeans. Nashville casual.