31 - Call It What You Want To

December 14, 2020

Taylor's POV

"Four days ago, our first guest  surprise released her second album of the lockdown. Yesterday, she celebrated her 31st birthday. Tonight, she is here with us. Her self-directed documentary the Long Pond Studio Session is on Disney Plus, and her new album is right here. It's called evermore. Please say hello to Taylor Swift!" Jimmy Kimmel introduced me to the virtual crowd. I gave a big smile into the camera when my video square popped up next to Jimmy's on my screen.

Zoom meetings were the new normal. Since the COVID-19 lockdown began, I stayed safely connected to everyone through video calls. Well, everyone except Joe. We decided to quarantine together. Although 2020 was nothing like anyone expected, I still managed to release new music, film a documentary, do interviews, and celebrate my second luckiest year.

Jimmy talked with me about my birthday and new album. A few seconds into the interview, I realized that I was still wearing my wedding ring. Careful to keep my hands below the camera view, I slipped it onto another finger. I hoped that it wouldn't raise suspicion. I hadn't been going out much or seeing people who didn't already know that Joe and I were married, so I grew accustomed to wearing my ring most days.

After answering some questions about evermore, Jimmy brought Joe into the conversation. "Now, your boyfriend wrote some of the lyrics to some of the songs under a pseudonym, William Bowery. Who chose that name? Did you or did he?" he asked.

"He did," I confirmed. I gave a quick glance to Joe who sat behind the camera.

"Is there a meaning to that? From the Bowery hotel I know people have speculated," Jimmy wondered.

"Well," I began. Joe was trying his best not to start laughing from behind the camera. "You gotta ask him because it's really more his story than mine."  There certainly was a story behind the name choice.

Jimmy jumped in, "alright, turn the camera around. Let's see where he is."

We both laughed off the request knowing that Joe would not make an appearance. The interview closed out with the typical promotion of my documentary and album.

"You didn't want your husband to join you on camera?" Joe asked as he closed the laptop.

Smiling and rolling my eyes, I stood up from my chair. "It's nice to be home for interviews."

"You did great," he complemented me and pulled me into a hug.

"How about we order takeout tonight?" I suggested. It was getting close to dinner time, and neither of us had prepared anything to eat.

"Yeah, that sounds good," he agreed.

"I can go pick it up," I offered.

Joe raised his eyebrow. "Are you sure? I mean with the paparazzi and all?"

"I'll be fine," I assured my concerned husband. "With our masks on and winter coats, we're less recognizeable.  Mia would probably like to come along and get out of the apartment."

Mia started kindergarten virtually this year, and it was taking a toll on all of us. She had been staying with Joe and me for the past month in New York. The nice thing was that she could still be in school even when she was traveling between Joe and Natalie's place.

After bundling Mia up with her jacket, mittens, and hat, we headed out. "Be back in a few!"

We chose to pick up some Chinese food from a nearby restaurant. Normally when I go out, I would have a security detail with me. Since it was winter during a pandemic, there hadn't been as many paparazzi around in general. I felt okay walking a few blocks.