Potions Class

"Attention to detail in the preparation is the prerequisite of all planning." Professor Slughorn said but stopped when two students walked in.

"Ah. Harry, my boy, I was beginning to worry. We've brought someone with us, I see." Slughorn greeted Harry and Ron.

Ron and Harry? They hate Potions, and they received only 'Exceeds Expectations' on their Potions OWL, we need 'Outstanding' to get into N.E.W.T level Potions...

"Ron Weasley, sir." Ron introduced himself. "But I'm dead awful at Potions, a menace, actually. I'm gonna..."

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out." Slughorn said cheerfully.

Slughorn is way friendlier than Snape, gotta him that.

"I haven't actually got my book yet, and nor has Ron," Harry said.

"Get what you want from the cupboard," Slughorn said and turned back to face the class. "Now, as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?"

Hermione and I raised our hands, but naturally, Hermione got selected to answer.

"Yes, Miss...?"

"Granger, sir," Hermione answered and walked to the table to examine the potions. "That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion. It's terribly tricky to make. And this is Amortentia...the most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumoured to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them. For example, I smell...freshly mown grass and new parchment, and...spearmint toothpaste."

Hermione stepped back and stood next to Harry and Ron.

"Now, Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." Slughorn said and shut the lid on the potion.

I didn't like the way the girls in the class all edged closer to it, especially since Pansy was among them.

Pansy, you better not use that on my boyfriend.

"What do you smell?" I whispered to Draco.

He merely shrugged and said, "You."

"Well, I smell you too." I said and blushed.

"Sir? You haven't told us what's in that one." Katie Bell said, pointing to a small vial.

"Oh, yes. What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly referred to as..."

"Liquid Luck." Hermione finished.

"Yes, Miss. Granger. Liquid Luck. Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you will find that all of your endeavours succeed. At least until the effects wear off."

Draco snapped his attention to the potion, he looked like he desperately needed it.

"So, this is what I offer to each of you today. One tiny vial of liquid luck to the student who, in the hour that remains manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death, the recipes for which can be found on page 10 of your books. I should point out, however, only once did a student manage to brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. Nevertheless, good luck to you all. Let the brewing commence."

Everyone started on their potion. The Draught of Living Death was easy to make, if you had the right instructions, which the book clearly didn't.

Everyone but Harry and I had trouble with their Sopophorous Bean. The beans were hard to cut, we had to crush it. Somehow, Harry knew that.

"This stupid thing won't get cut." Draco grumbled, stabbing the bean with all his might.

"Draco, crush it. Not cut." I said helpfully.

Draco crushed it with the side of his blade and poured the juice into his cauldron. "Wow...You're really good." He said to me.

"I try." I said and focused on my potion.  I stole a glance over at Harry's table.

How the hell is Harry's potion the same as mine? Everyone elses' potion was wonky. I had to speed it up.

I turned up the fire below my potion...it wasn't a good idea. It actually caught fire.

I shrieked and backed away, the Slytherins at my table doing the same.

"Put it out, damn it." Pansy screeched as fire caught onto her robes.

"Sorry, sorry." I said and conjured up water to put it out. My potion was ruined, guess I won't get the Liquid Luck then.

Harry got it in the end, of course. I was a bit surprised Hermione didn't get it. The whole class looked a mess, dirtied faces (Seamus because his potion exploded), hair sticking out in every direction.

Draco's hair was so messy, and he looked very frustrated. He was shooting daggers at Harry, who was proudly holding his vial of Felix Felicis.

"Sorry about the fire..." I apologized to Draco.

"It's..fine. I don't care." Draco said unemotionally.

What happened to him?