Katie Bell Gets Cursed

"Come on, Draco. It's just a butterbeer." I pleaded with Draco to go to Hogsmeade with me.

My relationship with Draco has been off for the past few months. He always goes somewhere at night and he either ignores me or snaps at me. We haven't had a single fun and casual conversation in months.

Surprisingly, he said yes. Not only that, but he also seemed almost too eager to go. He was also bringing a package with him.

Odd.

"What is that?" I asked, making a grab for it.

"DON'T TOUCH IT!" Draco burst out. He realized that he had been too harsh and lowered his voice. "I mean...don't touch it. It's uh...for someone else."

I rolled my eyes and grabbed onto his arm instead, letting him press a kiss to my forehead. We actually managed to have a conversation all the way to the Three Broomsticks.

-----------------------------------------

Draco ditched me as soon as we went into the pub, going to a little room in the back.

Yeesh, rude much?

Thankfully, the trio were there so I sat with them.

"What happened between you and Malfoy? Are you both still together?" Ron asked.

"We're still together...Just not as close and connected as we once were. It's complicated." I said shortly.

"Well, gotta tell you to be careful, I think Malfoy is-" Harry began but stopped and waved at someone behind Hermione and I.

"Hey, my boy!" Slughorn said, coming over to our table.

"Hello, sir. Wonderful to see you." Harry stood and shook Slughorn's hand.

"And you, and you," Slughorn said cheerfully.

"So what brings you here?" Harry asked.

"Oh, the Three Broomsticks and I go way back further than I care to admit. I could remember when it was One Broomstick." He said and raised his glass a bit too high. His drink splashed on the table.

"All hands on deck, Granger." He said when Hermione jumped a bit.

He turned back to Harry, "Listen, my boy, in the old days I used to throw together the occasional supper party for the select student or two. Would you be game?"

"I consider it an honour, sir."

He turned to look at Hermione and me, "You would be welcome too Granger, and you, Crankshaw." 

Hermione smiled and said, "I'd be delighted, sir."

I too smiled and thanked him for the invitation.

"Splendid. Look for my owl." Slughorn said before squinting at Ron. "Good to see you, Wallenby."

I burst into fits of laughter when Slughorn left. "Wallenby, Wallenby, Wallenby." I chanted happily, earning a few kicks under the table from Ron.

-----------------------------------------

Draco didn't come out of the room at all, so I left with the trio.

We heard a high-pitched scream as we walked along the path back to Hogwarts. Laying in front of us was Katie Bell, her friend Leanne standing beside her panicking.

"I warned her. I warned her not to touch it." Leanne said.

Katie began twitching around wildly, swerving left and right until she finally flew up into the sky and began screaming. Then she dropped to the ground hard.

"Don't get any closer. Get back, all of you." Hagrid said and lifted Katie into his arms. Beside Leanne was an unwrapped package, there was a black opal necklace in it.

I think that's the package Draco was carrying...

"Do not touch that, except by the wrappings. Do you understand?" Hagrid warned and carried Katie off to the hospital wing.

-----------------------------------------

The trio and I stood in McGonagall's classroom. McGonagall was examining the necklace.

"You're sure Katie did not have this in her possession when she entered the Three Broomsticks?" McGonagall asked Leanne who was also there.

"It's like I said. She left to go to the loo, and when she came back she had the package. She said that it was important that she deliver it."

"Did she say to whom?"

"To Professor Dumbledore."

"Very well. Thank you, Leanne. You may go."

Leanne nodded and went off.

McGonagall then turned to us four.

"Why is it when something happens it is always you four?" McGonagall asked, sounding very exasperated.

"Believe me, professor, I've been asking myself the same question for six years." Ron said.

Snape entered the classroom, eyeing all of us suspiciously.

"Oh, Severus. What do you think?" McGonagall asked Snape as he examined the necklace himself.

"I think Miss. Bell is lucky to be alive..." Snape said.

"She was cursed, wasn't she? I know Katie. Off the pitch, she wouldn't hurt a fly. If she was delivering that to Dumbledore, she wasn't doing it knowingly." Harry said.

"Yes, she was cursed..." McGonagall wavered.

"It was Malfoy." Harry said.

It always is, isn't it, Harry?

I shot a glare at Harry.

"That is a very serious accusation, Potter." McGonagall said.

"Indeed. Your evidence?" Snape asked Harry, giving him the special loathing look he reserved for Harry only.

"I just know." Harry said.

"You just...know. Once again, you astonish me with your gifts, Potter. Gifts mere mortals can only dream of possessing. How grand it must be to be the Chosen One." Snape sneered.

"I suggest you go back to your dormitories. All of you." McGonagall dismissed us all.

We all returned to our dormitories silently.