Chapter 27: Sweet Torture

This is the worst kind of torture. I thought my torture techniques were good, but this? This is outrageous. I've been waiting here far too long, and they're all just sitting staring at me mockingly. I feel my palms go sticky, my forehead sweating bullets and my mouth as dry as ever. I always hate experiencing this. Too many times I tell you, too many times. Even though it always eventually ends, once that torture ends I can feel the pain searing through—

"One double chocolaty chip crème Frappuccino for a Samantha Winchester!" What can I say; I've got a sense of humour. I make my way over to the counter, feigning a smile and graciously accepting the drink with a "Thank you," before making my way out of Starbucks. I notice a few stares thrown my way for the 'Samantha Winchester'. I probably should have said my name was Primrose Everdeen then yelled "I volunteer as tribute!" But I am a grown 24 year old woman and that would be seen as immature. Oh, did I say 24? Yes, I did. Happy birthday to me.

This is my first birthday since... well... ever.... That I've had to spend alone, and without Ally. Every year she bought me a new blade as well as something else she wouldn't tell me. Each year she would mention a 'special present' that I would eventually receive once we were in retirement and every year she added something to that special present. We reached retirement, but my birthday didn't come around in time I guess. Now I'll never know what that gift is, not that I care about what it is, more so who was going to give it to me.

Without even realizing, I've taken one giant gulp of the Frappuccino and caused myself a major brain freeze, temporarily inducing me to stop where I stand and push the palm of my hand into my temple. What was I saying about the original torture ending then causing a searing pain?

Most people would think with the ice abilities and all that I couldn't get a brain freeze. Well, most people are wrong. Same with burning my tongue on coffee or tea, or even soup. Just because I have fire abilities, doesn't mean I can't get burned. While I may be fire and ice resistant on the outside, it's the inside that really matters, and I'm not talking metaphorically here.

On the inside, if I don't hold a substantial amount of control over my powers, I start burning or freezing up on the inside, which is not fire or ice resistant. Same goes with earth and air. If I don't hold enough control over them, I begin to lose air in my lungs or poison starts flowing through my veins. Let me guess; poison you're wondering? Well then, have you forgotten the various places poison originates from? Snakes, elements, frogs, a few other things and... plants.

The element that worries me the most is ice. Sure, the water part of the element I find fine, yet the ice seems to be fighting for dominance. The thing that's even more frightening though, is absolute zero. Scientists have stated and I quote that 'Practically, the work needed to remove heat from a gas increases the colder you get, and an infinite amount of work would be needed to cool something to absolute zero. In quantum terms, you can blame Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which says the more precisely we know a particle's speed, the less we know about its position, and vice versa. If you know your atoms are inside your experiment, there must be some uncertainty in their momentum keeping them above absolute zero – unless your experiment is the size of the whole universe.' So for those of you who don't speak science; absolute zero is absolutely impossible. Don't roll your eyes at my pun; I'm barely awake at the moment much less come up with good jokes or puns. That's why I'm having a damn Frappuccino.

Back on track, scientists have tried yet the closest they've gotten to absolute zero – also known as 0 Kelvin – was 0.45 nanokelvin. So close, but not there. That's where I come in. You see, thanks to my mum's element abilities, I already had the ability to control ice in my system. Then dad came along and added his own ice powers to that.