13-old friends

After Brooke had her ankle set in place by Mia- the silver ranger took her usual seat next to the red. Despite being so speedy, Antonio hadn't arrived, and the six rangers waited for him to show. Not that Brooke really minded, it gave her time to sort through her thoughts. A sense of guilt rose into her chest as she struggled to recall anything before the age of twelve- and it caused her to curse under her breath. She wanted to remember something, anything, about her time with Jayden and Antonio. But that wasn't the case, and Brooke let out a quiet sigh as she chewed on her bottom lip, eyes flashing.

Jayden noticed Brooke's internal conflict and nudged her shoulder with his own, snapping her out of her thoughts. "You were muttering to yourself again. Everything alright?" The red ranger asked the silver, who nodded.

"Yeah, just thinking," Brooke replied, leaning back on her hand, and then wincing slightly as a sharp pain flared through her injured hand. "I'm trying to force myself to remember the time with- oh, that's not good." She looked down at her hand and frowned at the blood staining the bandages a bright crimson.

"Let's get you to the med bay." Jayden urged, and the feeling of guilt from last night washed over him. Still, he tried to push it aside as Brooke shadowed him, the two rangers walking into the med bay.

Sitting down on one of the beds, Brooke unwrapped the bandages, inspecting the wound. It was better than it used to be- the blisters and swelling pretty much gone. Eyes flashing, Brooke turned her attention to Jayden, who gingerly treated the gash, his brows knit, blue eyes full of concern and guilt.

"Red, it's okay, it was an accident," Brooke reassured Jayden, noticing his guilty expression. "It looks worse than it feels, and shit," She let out a hiss as the disinfectant made contact with the wound, and Brooke grit her teeth slightly at the stinging sensation that covered her hand. "I've survived worse- much worse. It's okay, it was an accident." She repeated herself, flashing Jayden a small smile.

Jayden didn't return the smile, the red ranger having guilt etched on his face. "But still, it happened," He argued, his voice quiet as he bandaged Brooke's hand. "I hurt you." He muttered, and Brooke's eyes flashed.

"Red, I've been hurt by people who really want to hurt me- both physically and mentally. This is nothing, really, and I know you didn't mean to do it. The guilt you're showing is telling me that much, and I'm not going to hold it against you. Don't beat yourself up, okay?" Brooke reached for Jayden's hand with her uninjured one, and loosely intertwined her fingers with his. "It's okay, Red. I promise." She vowed, wearing a small smile.

"You're really something- I don't know how you're so calm," Jayden commented, his fingertips lightly tracing the scars that wrapped around Brooke's arms, feeling as she broke out in goosebumps. "Are these from a nighlok?" He questioned softly.

Brooke shook her head, and Jayden knit his brows. "James. My- my father. He knew that silver hurts more than anything else- and, well, you- you get the picture." She stammered out the explanation, and Jayden's eyes widened.

"I didn't mean to trigger anything, Brooke- I'm sorry." Jayden quickly apologized, taking in Brooke's gold eyes and the way her shoulders shook.

"It's okay, you didn't know. I survived him- and I- I have you by my side now," Brooke laughed breathlessly, willing away her claws and tightening her grip on Jayden's hand. "And the team- I'm safe. Maxx's safe. We got out of there." She reassured someone- and Jayden didn't know if it was for him or for herself.

"I'll always be there for you," Jayden promised, and watched as Brooke relaxed somewhat, her eyes flashing and returning to a grey-gold.

"I appreciate that, Red. You don't know how much I appreciate it," Brooke murmured, and the pair sat in comfortable silence for a couple of moments, Jayden rubbing small circles on the back of her hand with his thumb. After Brooke collected her thoughts, she spoke again, wearing her traditional grin. "Well, let's see if Goldie's shown up yet." She announced, letting go of Jayden's hand and standing up.