Capítulo Vinte e Três: O Ucraniano

Hi, I'm back. I've been out of the hospital for a couple weeks, but I still can't move my legs, though my speech has returned completely. I have a lot of physical therapy to get back to walking, so that's fun.

Anywho, here's a chapter. I'm sorry for not updating sooner.

Bye!

Gemma's POV:

I woke up in a room that I didn't recognize. I could tell it was a hotel room, but I didn't see any of my brothers. 

There wasn't even a hint of their presence in the room. The other queen sized bed looked like it hadn't been slept in. I stood up and started walking around the room, trying to get a handle on my mental state. 

It seemed like I'd had my freak-out last night. I wasn't feeling anything. 

I knew that what Damian did was to protect himself and his family, a family that I was apart of. Being a hit-man was different from protecting his family, though. He killed people for money. Granted, Damian didn't seem like the type of kill innocents, seeing how he saved several maids and butlers during the attack on the house. 

So he killed bad guys for money? 

I stored the information in a back archive, something to use later on in life. There was talking right outside my door. They were speaking English, thank gosh.

"Boss doesn't want her unprotected while they're gone. Says she'd special, or something." A gruff voice spoke loudly and clearly. 

"That's stupid. If anyone wanted her, they coulda just taken her while she was runnin' 'round her own house." Another gruff, angry voice drifted through my door. While I didn't want to even think about being taken back to George, or whoever he was working for, my mind instantly flashed there. 

I shook away the memories. 

"Eh, either way, we got the easy job." The first man spoke up again. I silently crept from the door back to the bed, hoping the men behind the door were too invested in their conversation to really be paying attention to me. 

I then started exploring the room, praying a bathroom was attached to it. Thankfully, my prayers were answered with an adjoining bathroom. 

Shower time was thinking time.

And I had a lot to think about. 

I needed to get a better understanding of my brothers. Who were they really? What were they really?

Well, brother number one (Tobias) was a mafia boss. To which mafia, I wasn't sure. But that language was definitely something from South America. Too much of a similarity to Spanish for it not to be. Possibly something from Brazil, where our parents originated from? 

Portuguese. 

The main language spoken in Brazil was Portuguese. 

Our parents originated from Brazil, Tobias spoke Portuguese and so did all of our other brothers. 

So, perhaps Brazilian Mafia? I'd heard a story about the Brazilian Mafia on the news a few months back. Something about a gunfight or some other stupid thing. It would make sense. Well, more sense than anything else. 

Sinclair was an open book. Motorcycle gang leader with a deadly reputation and a reason for having it. His gang was something that everyone knew about, including police, but no one talked about. And that was that. 

Damian was some type of assassin or hit-man, though hit-man seemed more likely. Assassins killed for a cause or because of orders and I didn't see Damian taking orders well. A hit-man, on the other hand, could take whatever job they want while still having the skill set of an assassin. 

Zion ran a hacker-for-hire company inside of his legitimate cybersecurity company. The irony. Anyways, that made him a billionaire and brought lots of attention to my family. I hoped that attention would never be pointed at me, though I already knew those hopes were in vain.

A question, my friends: What the heck has my life come to?

There was a knock on the bathroom door. I shouted that I was almost done and finished washing the soap out off my legs. I always got soap stuck in the little areas behind my knees. It sucked. 

Sweatpants, a tank top (that I found on the other bed that hadn't been slept in), and my hair pulled up into a wet, messy bun. I was the picture of comfort. 

"We brought food." Sinclair smiled, setting a greasy bag on the table in the room. I ran to it, already sorting through the food to find something to eat. I settled with the cheese-burger and too salty french fries. 

"Where are we?" I asked, swallowing down some fries with a gulp of Dr. Pepper. Sinclair glanced back at Tobias, who I hadn't even noticed in the room.

"Times Square. I own the hotel, so it was easy to get a room." Tobias confessed. 

I cocked my head, unsure of how I made it all the way to Times Square without waking up. That was several hours. 

"Wow, I must have been tired. So, whose cleaning up the house?" I asked, digging into my burger. Damian shared a confused and wary look with Zion, neither okay with my nonchalance. 

"Some friends. Gemma, why aren't you freaking out?" Damian asked, sitting in front of me at the table. He was keeping his distance, making sure our elbows didn't touch like they normally did when we ate with each other. 

I shrugged, gazing at my burger lovingly. 

"I freaked out yesterday, now I'm handling it. Wait, it was yesterday, right?" I asked, suddenly concerned that I missed more than just a day. Zion nodded, making me smile in relief. 

"You saw dead bodies. You saw me covered in blood. You should be screaming your head off right now." Damian said, running a hand through his hair. Sinclair and Zion were glaring at Damian, as if to remind him to not freak me out with the memories. 

I nodded. 

"Uh huh. The dead bodies were people who were trying to kill you four and kidnap me. The blood came from self defense. That being said, as long as you can work all this out with the police and not get arrested or have me shoved in a foster home, I'm all good." I said, still staring at my burger. 

All I wanted was to devour the amazing looking burger that wasn't going to taste nearly as good as it looked. Maybe it was my hunger making it look like the best burger I'd ever seen. Maybe it was the fact I hadn't had fast food in years. 

"Kidnap you? Gem, we never told you that." Zion took a step closer, his arms crossed over his chest in a defensive pose. My eyes widened at my slip up. 

"Call me lucky, but while I was hiding some of them started talking about 'Getting the girl' as they passed. I can't imagine they were talking about their OTP." I admitted, my cheeks glowing cherry red as my brothers stared down at me. 

"None of them spoke any English. I know, I checked." Damian said. It was his turn to pale at what he let slip. 

I saw him checking me over as I ate a couple more fries. I didn't give anything away, so it looked like I hadn't heard him. 

"They were speaking Ukrainian." I said, taking another huge gulp of Dr. Pepper. The room went quiet once more, meaning I had everyone's attention. 

"You speak Ukrainian?" Tobias asked dubiously. He had his doubts. 

"Чи є у вас сумніви?" (Do you have any doubts?) I asked, arching an eyebrow at them. Again, silence.

I could've heard a pin drop. It was quite entertaining, actually. They stared at me, eyes wide and jaws dropped.

"You're twelve." Sinclair said, confusion laced throughout his tone. I chuckled, not entirely sure what to say in that moment. I'd never had anyone react to me knowing two languages, because no one knew. 

Now, obviously, I was fluent in several other languages but knowing about me being fluent in two enough for now. I didn't need my brothers knowing all my secrets before I figured out all of theirs. 

"What? I'm smarter than I look."